Old 03-16-2013   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Richard Tao Frankin.

Very sad news for the boating community. Rickter passed away in his sleep last night on a boating trip with his son. His infectious smile and laughter will be missed by all and very much so by me! His love for the outdoors is truly inspiring! The cause of his passing is not known! We miss you!

LOVE! John

keelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #2
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Rick will be greatly missed! His wife, Cyd, is asking that people that knew him to email stories to her of adventures that we have shared with him so that she can make a book for their children. Send your stories to:

mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #3
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
That Sucks

I used to paddle with Ricter back when BomberGear was sewing in their garage on Florida Road. He was always a BallsOut dude who crammed in more living than almost anyone I have ever known.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ricter.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	5748  
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #4
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
How ironic is it that Rick passed away in his sleep. Between all his crazy climbing adventures, caving missions and hairball boating you'd think he was bomb proof. But I think he was probably where he most wanted to be. I have a picture of him that he gave me of him running the 40 footer up on S. Mineral. Perfect boof- perfect angle- a picture framed in the moment with Corby looking on. Doesn't matter that he pitoned the s@#$t out of it. He was a pioneer- firing up the s@@#$t, living life to the fullest in all kinds of ways. I really enjoyed hanging out with Rick" Rickter" and I'll miss him. My sincerest condolences to all his family and friends. Peace brother.

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Very Sad - He was a great guy with a ton of heart

RIP Rickter...

Thanks for showing me down the Upper Animas back in the Day! 1997 I think it was. It was a balls out high water run... you knew all the lines and i was thankful. There was no one else on the river all day. Rockwood...Hell Yeah!

I was most impressed by Ricks perseverance in bringing BomberGear back from the dead. He busted his ass for years to pay off the debt he was left with. and wrote a story about it for Paddler or some other rag..maybe someone can find it and post a link.

My condolences to his family. Nobody knows how long they have left and we would all do well to live life like Rick did.
Juan De Confluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #6
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Very sad, condolences to all his friends and family. Never got to paddle with him, but interacted a few times with him through his company. Meeting me well past dark at his storage shed in early may passing through the boat in a down poor as I was driving to put on the Yampa next morning. We spend fifteen minutes opening up random boxes trying to find the skirts, he has me laughing the whole time, and is offering me deals on each item we came across. He says the skirt will be a "little" tight but that perfect its raining, so we spend the next ten minutes getting soaked and then together barely get it on my Everest to prove it fits. He made solid gear.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #7
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
RIP Rickter

Having gotten into kayaking by accident, I met Rickter on the river. Always happy to show a new kayaker a line or offer advice on technique. Hanging out at the shop on 160 or the later shop in bodo. Good deals for people who dropped by on gear.

Remember life is fleeting. Some of us have taken great risks in life and lived to tell the tales, but having something like this happen puts it all in perspective. Live just to live and be the best person you can be.

May his wife and children find the solace they need.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #8
steamboat, Colorado
Rick was a giver. He taught his children the activities that he cherished, that defined him. His children will carry on his legacy. I hope Cyd finds peace.

He has left a huge void in his wake.
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If I remember correctly there's a thread on here, from a couple of years ago, that chronicles the story of bomber gear and the stages and struggles it went through. I don't know if Rick started the thread, but I'm pretty sure he explains the whole story, in his own words. I can't search for it now, but it might be a nice thing I post.
Very sad news...I got to talk with him once and thought he was a really, really nice man. RIP.
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #10
Louisville, Colorado
Oh how sad. I knew Rickter back in my Durango days, mostly from caving - not the river. Wishing his friends and family peace during this difficult time.

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote