Old 11-12-2012   #1
Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Returning from a Grand trip.

This I a question I've pondered, having never run the Grand myself.
This question is for both those of us who drink alcohol and those that don't.
When you answer, state approx how many beers you drink on an average day of floating. If you don't drink then a simple answer of yes your in better shape or no your not in better shape or you can elaborate if you like.
Ok, my question is after a trip down the GC would you say you feel more physically healthy than before you started the trip, the same physically, or more out of shape than when you started. This is strictly physical, not mentally because we all know how enlightening a good long river trip is.
The reason alcohol is involved in the question is because I definitely think it change your mood when it comes to long hikes. It's scary getting real far away from the cooler sometimes I know.

Ok how many beers/other alcohol a day, and how did you feel when your finished the trip.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I felt ripped physically after both trips. Lost weight and super strong!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #3
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
No beer or alcohol. Felt the same after the trip. Didn't gain or lose a pound.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Just got back last Sunday.

I do not normally drink a lot of alcohol and did not drink on this particular trip either. Not easy for me to lose weight, but did indeed lost 8 pounds on our 19 day trip. We ate very well. Breakfast in the morning. Small snacks through the day. Appetizers before dinner, dinner and desserts. In fact, I ate better on the trip than I do at home.

The one mistake I did make was not getting in a little bit better shape before I left. I think I would have had more confidence on the hikes - some of which were tough. So if you have time - even if its only a few weeks before you leave - regardless if you drink or not or plan on drinking or not - my advice is to hit the gym. I know next time I will.

P.S. I believe the drinkers on our trip planned on 3 beers per day and some people did bags of wine as well. Some days they wanted to drink, some days we all crashed into bed immediately after dinner. All depends on planned layover days. We had 3 - one per week.
PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #5
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
No beer

My group of 30 something year old men brewed beer while on the river. They drank a lot. I was a 16 year old, I don't drink beer still (approaching 34 now) I am always a little overweight, I lost 21 lbs from door to door. I ate like a horse. We did 4 layovers, and two major hikes, lots of little ones. I rowed a snout, but we had a gas motor as well for the flat stuff. It was a short shaft, so useless in the rapids. I felt great when I got out. Went to Vegas and enjoyed the sound of a flushing toilet, lol.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #6
Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
prolly 8+ beers a day. felt great, lost weight, physically stronger, ate enormous portions of food....
Simply in between swims
floatingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #7
Have done five trips. Probably average 3-4 beers a day. Have never gained or lost weight. But come back from every trip feeling great!
Rowing and hiking EVERY day is a great workout routine. Have always eaten VERY well and more than at home.
Seems every trip has one day of rowing flat water all day into the wind.
Major cardio / upper body workout. Couple times the arms have been so tired it was hard to lift a beer at the end of the day!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #8
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
16 trips kayaking all, up to 10/day in the early years now about 3-4/day. It's not the kayakers and boat persons who gain the weight it's the passengers. I've heard some say they've put on 4-8 lbs.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #9
Carbondale, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
I averaged about... Well let's just say I drank a lot. I split rowing duties 50/50 w/ my boat-mate. My weight stayed about the same and I was significantly more fit at the end of the trip!
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #10
Bugtussle, Kentucky
3-4 beers/day on a 23 day trip. Brought mostly IPA's, quick buzz...
Hand paddled a displacement hull creek boat for 220 of the 280 miles...surprisingly only lost about 5 pounds. Its hard to drink beer on the river with hand paddles.
Ate better, and a lot more, than I do at home.

bjett is offline   Reply With Quote