Old 11-14-2012   #31
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'd make sure to bring plenty of booze and fixins for warm drinks too.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #32
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
The big question, is whose dishwasher was it? Ewwww
I'm thinking the Seal-a-Meal might come in handy. Meal-in-a-Can that is.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #33
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Self support kayak rations

I am doing a self support kayak trip in Dec. and plan on 1 shot of whiskey a day ration. And half a stick of butter per day in addition to the rest of my food. But those are the two most important winter rations for me. I hike the hell out of myself on most trips as well and go to bed tired most nights. As for weight loss I have never lost more than 5lbs on a trip except for one that I got very sick on.

In sum.
1. Butter rations are critical in the winter for the dirt bag kayak self supporter.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #34
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by Daggerdave View Post
Great thread guys. I'm leaving Feb 9 and am reading with great interest. I'm thinking ten per day with a few xtra. I've got 19x11x24 ammo cans ready to go.
On both trips my husband and I planned for a 12-pack a day apiece since that is usually the recommendation and brought a couple bottles of whiskey to share. We ran out both times the day before the take out.

I ate a lot of food as usual.

On the first trip I rowed everything as my husband didn't row yet and I lost weight.

On the second trip, we split the rowing (he rowed more since he said it was his turn) and I didn't lose or gain weight- even with all that beer.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #35
Red lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1987
First trip was a 16 day launch, and brought 5- 30 packs of the best river beer out there, Tecate and PBR. Also 2 jugs of bourbon and a little rum.....Second was 23 days, and similar levels of libation. Always plan for a few to get lost to friends and attrition, and the rio always claims a few as well Felt awesome the whole way rowing.....To BJETT...I think you may be off on your beer count, although those flippers you wore on your hands the whole time did make it hard to truly enjoy the beers while hand paddling !! A little tip to maximize your beer value, get a screw top kids sippy lid that pops onto the can...$.99 cents can save a lot of beer from spilling / mixing with the Colorado
ootek34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #36
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
We did the PRO gourmet package, and a guy who's won best bartender in Portland, with full collection of mixers and hard stuff. Freaking gained weight. Oh, yeah, and several gallons of Bulgarian moonshine.

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote