Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-26-2004   #1
Request restaurant suggestions near Salida/BV?

Two questions:

What's the best hangout in the Salida/BV area?

What's the best worthwhile upscale restaurant in the area?

stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Pizza: Moonlight Pizza on the corner of 3rd and F St. outside beer garden/patio great pizza and paddler owner (PT Wood). Moonlight is a staple of my families diet.

Benson's is a smoke free bar, mellow atmosphere owned by some great folks (Pete and Sara) the have a great menu better than most bars and on my birthday they let us do shots in our dripping wet paddling gear between King of the wave sessions at the hole. It is right on F st. beetween Sackett and 1st Street, two blocks up from the whitewater park.

Laughing Ladies is the best resturant in town for a more upscale dinner and really one of the best resturants I have eaten in anywhere in the world. Not nearly as expensive as resturants of this quality other places. It is on 1st street between F and G.

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004   #3
Web Developer/Programmer
I second laughing ladies as the best restaurant in town
Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004   #4
Mexican food - Coyote Cantina in Johnson's Village. The wait can be long, the place is kind of a pit but the food is very good.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004   #5
Amsterdam, Netherlands
i don't know if it's still around but 1st street cafe was a great place to eat. all you can eat salad bar too.
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004   #6
Jan's in BV for breakfast. Hard to miss; swing for the fences.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
---- Yoda
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004   #7
Chaffee County Dining Guide

I agree with all of the posts so far. For more info, there is a great online dining guide at http://coloradoheadwaters.com/dining/index.cfm.
bradgoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004   #8
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Picnic Fixins

It may not be the most centrally located or have the exterior ambiance that you're looking for, but if you want the place for killer picnic fixins, go to the Italian deli that's next door to Marshall Welding in the Poncha Spgs Industrial Park. Imported coppacola ham and other meats and sausages, awesome breads, all kinds of gourmet and foreign treats, and the most artfully built sandwiches you'll ever have!

While you're waiting you can talk to Marshall about frames or the expanding line of river gear that he's carrying.

Bon appetit!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #9
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Moonlight and Laughing Ladies are excellent places and I crave them throughout the winter when I'm skiing. The Evergreen Cafe in BV is a lot better than Jan's IMO. The Coyote is one of the worst food/over priced restraunts that I have ever been to (did I mention that they make Margs in a bucket with Everclear?). They even give guides 10% off and it's still a poor value not worth suffering through. Buy the expensive Rasberry jelly and make PB&Js for a week instead. If you're going through leadville I also highly recommend Tenneessee Pass Cafe - It's on par with Laughing Ladies.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004   #10
There's a new mexican restaurant in poncha springs called Girasoles. They don't have their liquor license yet but the food is really great if you like more authentic mexican rather than mex/american or tex mex. Really reasonable prices and the staff is very friendly. It's just west of the intersection of 285/50 next to a BP gas station. Opens at 8 for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

peakexpo is offline   Reply With Quote