Old 07-21-2009   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
release schedule for S Platte, Foxton???

where do I find out when/if they are releasing into the foxton canyon?

the flow right now is low, 500+ CFS, I heard they were going to start releasing but is there a schedule out there, or a number to call?

Yakinsmaaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It's already dropped to 214, you can call and check the flows but there is not really a schedule at least released to the public. The Denver water board does mention some things and its usually updated in this thread as one of this community is gracious enough to go:

NF South Platte releases

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #3
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Traditionally, they drop the flows when heavy rains happen - I think it's to keep silt out of the res. I expect it to go back up later in the week if the rain stops. Count normally would have supplied this answer, so I'll help out here. RIP
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Foxton is runnable from 240cfs and up. You could run it lower but it's really rocky and shallow... My favorite level is about 400. It gets really meaty (which just means too much for me!) at around 600. They will release through September, and I think the amount that is released is dependent on the demand in Denver. As cheesman releases less, they will bring more through the tunnel and thus Foxton will run again.

The flows don't usually go much higher than 300-400cfs in August and September, and usually stay at 250-300cfs. I'm sure someone else has more info, but that's my experience with late season foxton runs.
Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
Traditionally, they drop the flows when heavy rains happen - I think it's to keep silt out of the res.
Neat. Never heard of this, but good info.

Also, in this day and age it seems like it would be so easy to either set up a webpage with current release plans, or a call in line with release plans. Right now caspian doesn't get frequent enough updates to keep the community informed of changes. On top of that the change the flows mid morning so that an early am gauge check before leaving doesn't mean that you won't show up to unrunable flows by the time you get there. Lame. I know that they constantly react to rain, and to calls for water, so they sometimes don't have more than a day to day plan, but we could get better information.

Gotta be a better way...
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #6
Does anyone know of another river that has fluctuating releases, slightly unpredictable releases; due to water needs, rain ... but also has a page like Ian mentioned ... or some type of predictable place to view information? Rivers like the Green in NC come to mind, but the water demand is different I think and might not be a good model. I am not familar with this area. ANy help?

If so, we could potentially learn something from how that is working successfully for the water company, paddlers and other water users. And potentially suggest a solution.

Is there a Klamb that works on Robert's tunnel?

It would be nice to know when Bailey is running in advance.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
WaterFlow Announcements

Above is a link to water announcements for the ark projects. Looks like most of the announcements are made when they make a change, which is fine.

I guess they get a call for water, and then make a change after the call. Not sure about the timing of when they make decisions, but notice with enough timing to plan they days boating at a min would be great.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #8
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I thought we'd at least get a week or two at the 500 level. I'm bummed I guess I should have got while the gettings good.

goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote