Old 06-22-2012   #1
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1973
recreational kayak

A friend of mine and I have recreational kayaks. We are wanting to explore some river use rather than lakes. We are coming from Evergreen. Any suggestions....Deckers(south Platt)....sections of Clear Creek?
Are we crazy? Used to use rubber duckies on the American in California in the 80's but haven't been on the rivers in a couple of decades. Any suggestions out there?

Pbw726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #2
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Stick to class II at first; guessing you can't roll those, so flip=swim right? Float bags and a decent helmet (like a WRSI) are standard equipment for whitewater. If you love it, get ww kayaks, and take a roll class. Or if you dont want to learn to roll, maybe duckies, a ww sit-on-top, raft or SUP might be your thing. Rent, demo, borrow. Rec kayaks are slowww on flatwater, but if you have nothing to compare them to, that may not matter to you . They do have great primary stability (they "feel" stable).

I know an old time canoer who keeps on canoeing, even when offered touring kayaks that are twice as fast. Whatever floats your boat
P.S. I am not too familiar with CO; I recall some class II below Shoshone on the Colorado.. Utah has the Green River Daily; and some stretches of the Moab Daily would be easy and super scenic. Keep in mind that if you swim on a bigger river, and its just the two of you, there is a significant chance of losing your boat and/or paddle. Could practice swimming with a rec kayak + paddle on a lake, just to have an idea of how hard it is.

wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #3
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
This might help....
Jerry's Local River Guide

I particularly like the Upper Colorado river near Kremmling. A well maintained road follows the river with mutliple access points and lots of camping. The Rancho Del Rio to State Bridge Section is an excellent beginner run. I've seen folks do it pool toys and inner tubes. If you want some bigger water try the Pumphouse to Yarmany section and you can get the feel for some easy class III stuff. You can rent gear at Rancho-Del-Rio if you forgot something or wanted to try a duckie.

More info on the upper C.....
BLM Colorado | Kremmling Field Office | Rafting

nice river map.... Kremmling to Glennwood

Rancho-Del-Rio... a very boater friendly put-in with shuttle service, lodging, gear rental and BBQ!
Rancho Del Rio - Not Your Usual Resort
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote