Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-08-2008   #31
Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
Boatmusher and others that have used ceiba>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I am using ceiba in jan. so u have the option of QUICK &SIMPLE, wich are supposed to be pretty quick meals to prepare, there is the BASIC, which takes an hour from start to finish, and COMPLEX takes the longest.. with that said do you remember the one you went with?

1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008   #32
Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004

I think one of the tricks down there is realizing that not everyone will be equally burdened, though you should aim for this.

Rafts vs. Kayaks
Groover set up vs. Kitchen set up
Prep vs. Cooking
Leader vs. Group Members
Big Boats vs. Small ones.

I bitched about the bitches, either way and I am glad we will be going again knowing how to do it a little better. Group dynamics is another topic, though tummies are closely connected to our brains.

The point I was trying to make is that the right amount of food is tough, I like the idea of sharing the burden amoung the group and take this stuff seriously, just because you hired an outfitter does not mean the job is done, their decisions can greatly impact how you will function on the river, so strive to understand what they are packing and how they expect you to use it. Our group was more minimalist than the outfitter prepared for so we were running heavy in places we did not want to be. This influenced folks demeanors. Plan ahead to avoid.

Still feel great about Ceiba, I just know now better what to ask for if I hire an outfitter again.

I am honestly looking forward to the food preparation, besides the shared burden and less on river work (our plan), I feel like I and We in the group will have richer experience having done more to make the trip ours. Extra prep before the trip is something I am more than glad to do, it is on the river that I want the time. Hopefully will save a few bucks by doing it ourselves.

yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #33
Vancouver, BC
Paddling Since: 97
I recently returned from a trip using Moenkopi Riverworks as an outfitter. The food was fresh and excellent. Brady, Rico and Marilyn did a fantastic job making sure we had everything we needed. The trip was definitely customized to our group. Brady was awesome and even hiked down into the Canyon with a me at Eminence Break because I was not able to launch with the rest of the group. I'd highly recommend using Moenkopi to outfit your trip if you are looking for personalized service.
surfsister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #34
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
These are all great recommendations but if you are cheap like me you can do it yourself. We hired only a shuttle on our last trip and went to south cove to avoid hualipai fees. did all the food, etc ourselves and spent like $500 per person for 20 days.

if you have extra money lying around go for the $1000 trip and have someone do your food.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #35
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I had originally reserved a raft with PRO for our March launch. I wasn't really happy with their customer service,they really weren't to eager to help me and made it seem like everything was a hassle for them. So i'm cancelling with them and going with Brady from Moenkopi,who has been very helpful.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #36
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Just got back from the Grand a few days ago, took out on Nov 13th. We used Moenkopi for 3 18' boats, food and shuttle and brought another couple rafts with us. We were very happy with their service and food pack. The meals were generally easy to do - but some meals like lasagna in the Dutch Ovens definitely took that night's cook crew more time. There is a list of food options on Moenkopi's website you can choose from - or they will pack your specific requests.

We finished the trip with a definite excess of food and snacks. Part of the excess is an insurance policy in case you get stuck in the canyon for a few extra days due to emergency or something like the road up Diamond Creek getting washed out - forcing you to either wait for the road to get repaired or to head to South Cove. Since about half of our trip drove to the Grand we simply packed up the extra food in the two coolers we brought with us.

In terms of organization we had a rocket box for each days food, a meat cooler, dairy cooler and some specific rocket boxes/ammo cans for things like breakfast staples and spices. This system worked well for our group.

As to trip dynamics - we had 12 people, 3 of whom were on kitchen duty each day and cooked dinner through the next days lunch. Couples generally didn't cook together so that the non-cooking person could get their tent/sleeping bags set up and break it down in the morning. One non-cooking person was on groover duty each day. Unloading the boats and setting up group gear like the kitchen and hand wash stations was done before anyone set up camp. We also discussed group dynamics and responsibilities before the trip online and on the shuttle ride in so that everyone was clear on expectations.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #37
Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by boatmusher View Post
I also have used Ceiba. Loved them! Once, unfortunately the TL would jump around on the different meals and eat what "tasted good" that night. Unfortunately, packing and planning on Ceibas part doesn't really allow one to jump around like that w/out it turning into a cluster f!@# by the end. Ceiba is cool b/c if you follow their plan you only have to take 2 maybe 3 cans off for dinner. Very organized as long as the group stays to plan.

As yakrafter stated there is a lot of prep w/ Ceiba. Too much time cooking and cleaning not enough time relaxing. Next time I hope on the group doing the food as a group in some manner. Easier that way as long as there is organization. Especially when you get on the river! No matter how much planning goes into the trip prior to leaving w/out the proper organization on the river it all goes to shit!

It is funny! Certain groups I have found don't understand group dynamics. Such as putting personal gear/agenda ahead of group gear/agenda. With a strong core of solid boaters that have been on overnights before problems stated above should and could be easily avoided. The problems that arise on the Grand I personally have found
can be avoided and adjusted with a little bit of communication and leadership skills. Needless to say, group dynamics make or break a trip.
Sounds like you have been down again man, we only jumped planned meals due to the desire of those in the group that were cooking to do more or less prep...or if we were low on water and had a pasta meal or something like that.

In terms of the multi daily can decent. The issue there was the desire to try and use the leftover food. Thus bring out old day cans that were still packed with eatables. In retrospect we should have just let those cans stay on the boats full of food if not eaten.

Hopefully the personal pack will take care of the food excess issue, but we will see.

I also really think coolers should be time sequencial not based on content catagories (dairy, meat, lunch, etc) that has you opening coolers all the time over and over.

communication, leadership, group dynamics are all critical, but as you know. Sometimes one event over the course of a few minutes can change the rest of the trip. folks have to want to be lead as well or at least cooperate.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #38
Galax, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1974
Used PRO this past June. Their "Quick and Easy" menu was just that. They give you plenty of food; the philosophy being better to have to much than not enough. we did Painless Private. Just show up in Flag with your private stuff they do the rest.
richierivertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #39
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
just got home this morning from 10 days on the grand canyon. we used moenkopi. it was pretty rad. lots of food. great gear. brady is the man. would definitely suggest moenkopi to anyone heading down there.

tango is offline   Reply With Quote