Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-22-2011   #1
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Recommendation in Glenwood area for Memorial Day float?

It appears the Roaring Fork between Carbondale and Glenwood may be too much for an intermediate rafter over Memorial Day weekend. If so, can someone recommend another area, maybe on the Colorado, that might be more manageable? Thanks for the advice.

Dakota7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #2
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Put in at grizzly creek go to south canyon or tibbits or new castle

Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Christian's got a good suggestion but the shuttle's going to be a PITA with the construction work in Glenwood Canyon. You may want to float from Two Rivers Park in Glenwood Springs to either New Castle or go a little further to Silt. I was out there this last weekend and floated the entire stretch from Grizzley to Rifle over two different days. There are boat ramps at New Castle, the I-70 parking area at about Mile marker 108 on the eastbound side, Silt, and at Rifle. The section below New Castle has some riffles with small waves and is all flatwater.

The water's big and pushy at this level but any holes or waves that could flip a boat are easy to avoid.

Have a good trip,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #4
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Unless the water raises a bunch you should be fine. I just floated it Sunday and it's still pretty low. Warm temps coming up this week could change that but it is very small right now. You will need to go to hanging lake and turn around for grizzly down now and take out in west canyon to make the float longer.
gwsdemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #5
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
If you consider yourself an "intermediate" rafter, I think you will be fine from Carbondale to Glenwood and even better to South Canyon so you can hit the Glenwood wave and South Canyon wave train. The raft sneak at the Glenwood wave is river right!

Not a whole lot going on from Carbondale to Two Rivers but it is a beautiful float. Be sure to look up just past Aspen Glen for some bald eagles, 'Merica! There is a couple of fun wave trains after the black bridge and Cemetery is fun. Just keep the boat pointed down river and you should make it through unscathed...

Have fun, maybe see ya out there!
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #6
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I will be willing to join you for a roaring fork trip in two weeks. I am going to lake powell next week. but i will be able to paddle with you june 11 or 12 pm me if you want to join
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #7
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks everyone. I'm sorry, been out of computer range.
g.soutier, I'd love to join you for a Roaring Fork trip this summer, but am out of country until June 20 or so. Late June or July maybe?
Dakota7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #8
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I'm sure you're done with your memorial day float by now but if not, the cemetary section on the RF would probably be no problem for you. My buddy just bought a new raft 2 weeks ago and yesterday was his only his 2nd day on oars, ever, and we made it down without any problems at all. My wife and I were on paddles in the front, but i'm not sure the extra speed was even needed. Calendar16 has it right, just point it downstream and you'll be good - the cemetary rapid is lots of fun right now! Enjoy

fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote