Old 08-26-2004   #31
I think it's pretty interesting that the "professionals" are so passionate about protecting access at this playspot, and yet they take video footage of this very same spot. If they are "trying to protect our footage and the companies that represent that footage ", then I would assume that they're going to be trying to sell this stuff from every street corner.

Doesn't sound too much like they're trying to keep this spot under wraps, and any sort of knock on other people about ruining access is pretty hypocritical...

Flame away

chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004   #32
BV, Colorado
humm???? are chewie and buster as afraid of the water as their owner is?

oh s#*t, did I just say that without getting a new anonymous ussername?

esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004   #33
esp - if you want to know my name, it's Doug. No world class kayaker here, that's for sure. Afraid of the water? Usually.
chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004   #34
Superior, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to Lurch
Originally Posted by chewie
esp - if you want to know my name, it's Doug. No world class kayaker here, that's for sure. Afraid of the water? Usually.

I think what he is trying to say is that it's strange that a lurker's first post would be Flame Bait and that you probably have another username you did not want to use for this post just like Buster choose to do.

To respond to your first post, how do we know that the video would endanger the spot? Every video has tons of waves in it. The footage might be shot in a way that you can't tell it apart from any others. Only the ones there know what the video looks like. I think this thread has done the wave the most harm. I had never heard of it up till last week and now I now the city that it's in, it's in a ditch and the name of the land owner. From all that info it would not take a rocket scientist to find it.
Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004   #35
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
I can't even surf M-wave yet, but lost water access isn't good for anyone.

Here are some good resources that you can use if you are in intimate contact with the area and understand the politics.
1. Trail Access Fund:
This company mostly deals with mountain and hiking trail access, but ACG is a major funder, which is good for us. Maybe they can help us out.

2. American Whitewater Association
We raised over $1000.00 for AWA during the Young Gun Productions premier during Teva (ALEX!!!). I have contacts with AWA, and they should definitely be able to help out.

Let me know if you want me to make phone calls. This goes for any river access problems. . .

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #36
student of many trades master of few
Send a message via AIM to Squints Send a message via MSN to Squints Send a message via Yahoo to Squints
I hate to bring up a dead topic but i just read this post for the first time today, and it pisses me off that "buster" is say what happened really happened because i was there as a witness that it didn't happen, like Alex said we were there filming and the showed up and stood there for awhile taking pics and we said nothing to them. then one of the guys got out a video camera and started to film, Alex was down on the water and was signaling for them not to film and pointed at all of the cameras we had set up. He handled it very professionally i thought.

I agree with him about the filming part and would you go to the vans skate park in the dessert and film them? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't apreciate it very much.

just my 2 cents

Corey Volt
id rather beg for forgiveness than to ask promission
Squints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #37
I am truly new to this forum, and hope I'm not picking at old wounds. It sounds like boater courtesy was in good form until the same paddlers got behind computers, which is typical. Still I wonder who has the legal right to film?
I recently read "if someone is shooting outdoor scenes in the City of Reno [where I work] , they must acquire a use permit in which all of the rights, privileges, obligations and restrictions that pertain to the film company are specified, as are restrictions on the citizens and visitors in the city. Use permits are negotiated with the City of Reno, which represents the interests of the citizenry as a whole. The area in which the filming is to take place is specified in the permit. It may or may not contain a buffer zone, and it may be renegotiated if exigent circumstances make it necessary. The movie set may be designated as a "Closed Set." If it is so designated, then the affected area must be posted to notify the public that they have no access while the film crew is working. The area is then considered to be private property in the sense that a rented apartment is considered the private property of the tenant; therefore, if an unauthorized person enters the filming area, (s)he can be arrested for trespassing ... As far as taking pictures of the filming activities is concerned, as long as the photographer remains outside the posted 'Closed Set,' (s)he may take as many pictures as desired, with any photographic equipment that (s)he deems necessary, for as long as the film supply lasts and no one can prevent him/her from doing so."

So my question is: is a legal document required on the land/water in question to grant the right to film privately?
strive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #38
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Until I read this thread, I knew there was a wave called the M-Wave, but I knew nothing about it.

I really don't follow the pro-paddling scene much, so I didn't know Alex Hotze's name.

At the beginning of the thread, I thought outright that someone a sponsored athlete, who behaves in the accused manner, should have their sponsorship dropped immediately. I was outraged and thought that Alex Hotze had no place in the pro-paddling community.

The entire thread turned around 180 degrees when Alex responded maturely and responsibly... and offered proof that "buster", probably aka "chewie", whose name may or may not be "Doug" (a lot of good that does, telling your first name), is a liar.

Just for the hell of it, I checked the profiles for "buster" and "chewie". Did anyone else notice that their profiles have no names and both accounts were created on the days that they posted their first posts.

In addition, "buster" claims to be a female, every indication in this htread indicates that buster is a male (f@g is a term almost exclusively uesd to insult males).

Finally, why the title "Reality Check" when reality had very little to do with it?

Strange as it may sound, Alex, this little weasel may have done you some good. After the truth came out, you have made yourself out to be a stand-up guy. When the footage you shot makes its way into a video or film of some sort, I'd like to see it (is the mew move as cool as it is made-out to be?). When your name comes up in the occsional video I watch, I will remember you and the people who defended your character.

buster-chewie-Doug can consider himself forgotten already....

Good luck to those who are taking action to preserve the M-Wave. Maybe, just maybe this thread will actually do some good there, too.
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004   #39
What makes anyone think they can tell me not to use my camcorder (in this situation)? I'll film any damn thing I wish, thank you very much.
You can BET the location of the one remaining canal surf wave in GJ isn't EVER going to be posted here. (I guess I could call it the G-Spot )
Western Slope WaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #40
Snowmass ski patrol
I'm going to rearrange some rocks in the creek that runs out side my back door... and I will call it my Bung-hole, and you will all be welcome to come play in and film my Bung- hole.....

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote