Old 08-23-2004   #11
Nice post Mike. it is time to put up or shut up. I for my part will just stay away not even go look. But for you people that go ther and want to go there. it's time to be proactive. you just got an offer to work wiht a curent effective WW advocacy group. Put up orshut up both sides i say this matter a factly not with malace to either side. as far as yelling and name calling by sponsered athletes. Will I use it as a deciding factor when i demo next year probably not. Will I remember when it comes time to buy you bet. peace out all sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #12
hey bout you not be a little whiny bastard??

jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #13
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
my guess would be if we get proactive and try to help manage the site, we will be shut down very fast. i would definately be into helping whatever effort gets going, but it is in a government ditch and is very dangerous. i think the higher profile it gets, the faster it goes.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I love the M-wave. What a cool place and an awsome wave. I was there all day Sat and didn't see a sole. I would be open to doing anything that would help preserve it. The only thing I have done to help is I have never take anyone there. I thought it was Government land, is that incorrect?

cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #15
I believe that it is private land. The Uncompahgre Valley Water Users Associaton owns the ditch and has an easment on the property. UVWUA is not government.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #16
pnw, Washington
This needs to be done cause the word is leaking out. I had heard the wave mentioned here several times but no one was leaking info. While in California this spring some paddlers gave me the lowdown. The two reasons I have avoided it are that it is a long way from my house and I dont really want to deal with the whole 'its my wave' crap. My point is that I am about as far removed from being on the inside as anyone so if I know then lots of people do.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #17
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I think the short answer is always no when you are dealing with something like this. But if it is owned by the water district then the approach would be to have someone who knows the right guy (somebody with influence who is not scared of their own shawdow) and approach them one on one at first. The reality is that they have to know the paddling is going on and are not dealing with it because they don't see it as a problem yet. Maybe there is a creative partnership that allows paddlers to use it under suitable conditions and they get some good press, tax breaks, money...I am just brainstorming someone who knows what is going on over there should speak up, I am just talking out of my skinny white ass...

Maybe no one wants to do anything I just think it would suck to have that thing get shutdown or worse...Pete Akitson was telling me last week how the boys over in GJ used to have sweet spots in ditches all over the place until they got too popular and the ditch owners went in the winter and demo'ed all of them.

Oh and if anyone is wondering if this spot is blown...I was in Montreal last week surfing Lachine and the French Canadian kid that worked at the local boat shop knew about two places in Colorado the Grand Canyon (he did not get the difference between Colorado River and Colorado) and the M-wave.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #18
The next zone, .
Mike’s plan of attack is the best for keeping this spot open and it is becoming obvious that this wave will not stay like it is for long - too bad.

As far as buster grow up and have the respect to approach a person face to face and talk out your issues – to post this way on the net is plain chicken sh**t – and so are you – to single out and attack any individual in this way it out and out wrong – handle your business with that person and let it end – buster you should change your name to “rat” or “narc” - that is what you are – grow some tougher skin and quit crying that you and all your poor, poor, friends were called a name (gasp) – or get in and throw down to the best of your abilities – that is how to earn respect – I for one will give none to anyone like you who singles out one local in a very complex issue for controversy -

One thing to think about is that if this spot gets shut down you and I loose a day or two or four a season – the locals loose their home spot – respect this and show respect for the locals they are the ones with the most to loose – I imagine that buster et al. showed a severe lack of respect so the true “keepers” of the spot did what they had to do – I have been fortunate enough to session many times when locals were there and beside them throwing down on my head they were very respectful – anytime that I ran into the person you talk of has always been a great host. Also remember that Pro kayakers have to train to keep up their skills and if this pro local looses his spot then he looses his ability to train or will have to move away from his home to train - when someone’s lively hood or home spot is at stake I for one can see why this person acted like they did and right or wrong I respect him for it.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #19
Lawyer Scum
Don't forget the history. We, all users of this forum, were called out by this individual a number of years ago on this site. (In similar fasion) Don and a few others politely told him to shut up as he was at the time looking for sponsorship. He promptly put up a post which was alot less confrontational and made the point that has been rehashed here so many times since. In summary "Awesome wave, it is at risk, be respectful and keep it quiet." I have family in Montrose and want access to make my visits more fun. I'm on board for any efforts to help in that regard. To the boater in question, grow up!! It's your job when your in your gear to "be cool". I'm a hot head my nature. My mouth has gotten me into many confrontations in life. But never once have I gotten into it with someone on the river. If you want to call people out and have an attitude, do it at the Sonic with the other highschoolers. Not on the river. We all have too much to fight for to waste our time fighting each other.

If anyone needs some legal resources to help with efforts preserving access, I would be willing to offer time.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #20
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Great offer Ken...

I too am willing to help out in any way that I can. To be honest, I have never been there, but that is primarily because I don't playboat that well and I do just fine on a # of playspots on the front range.

I do however feel a need to comment on Rdnck's post. ...

Rdnck, your point is very much true and I for one respect that position on how delicate it is. Especially in a place as dry as Montrose, any play spot near there needs to be respected/protected as much as it can. That means litter, noise, bad parking, the whole kit and kaboodle (sp?).

BUT, please don't tell me that it is even slightly OK to call people faggots. "Them there is fight'n words"... And especially to other boaters???This guy has had immature fits of passion regarding mwave on BUZZ in the past that the whole world was witness too. Although I was not there, it is very easily believable that he was far out of line again and bottom line... it does nothing but rial every one up as we are experiencing again here now.

As a person who cares very much for the boating world and especially our community, I probably would have called Dagger myself to inform them of what their team is out there promoting and left it at that, but posting on BUZZ is still OK with me. Not everyone likes to go and get in a fight when they are enjoying the water...

Go ahead and flame away...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote