Old 04-06-2005   #1
re: new mexico runs

hey , does any one know any beta on the CANADIAN RIver i have been monitoring it for years hardly ever has water it is running now at apx 400 cfs and may be crankin' soon what little info there is seems out of date ie the oldnew mexico book copyright 1983 it describes it as a sort of poor mans grand canyon 70 miles of iii iv continuous thru "red rock "country with tiered sandstone cliffs another source says 3 4 with class 5 consequences due to remoteness i am guessing the difficulty may be ex aggerated old school rating my questions is a shorter run around mills canyon possible? where is the best white water? any other problems/
also seeking beta on jemez(currently runnable), cimmaron and moa rivers upr pecos all simil arily lacking current data any feedback greatly appreciated
i meant mora river thanx jay

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005   #2
did the Canadian about six yrs ago at 2500cfs, we got beta that the section we were gonna run was about 20miles of continuous 3-4. 12 hrs and 50 miles later we dragged our boats to the shuttle car and devised ways to kill our buddy that gave us the info. there was no class 4 and maybe a couple 3's. beautiful canyon though, definitely a mini grand for sure. the section we ran is the section that the Mora feeds into if that helps. The Jemez is a wood fest, I found it not worth running. The Mora sounds steller. good luck, adios, atom....

action is the enemy of thought
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005   #3
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie

It has been too long since we last paddled. Anything in your area worth a quick road trip to this weekend? I need to get some NM. paddling in.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote