Old 11-02-2015   #1
Rotorua, NZ
Raw Dog or Wrap it up???

Alright so I've flown quite a few places with boats in tow, never been outright rejected but I have paid through the nose to get the boat on the plane before.
Every time I have wasted time putting the silly thing in a bag with shitty grab loops and making it more or less a pain in the ass to haul around.
Who has had good experiences just going with your boat as-is? The handles are in good places for the ground crew, the bag isn't gonna protect the boat from much, and if anything it makes it heavier.
So what do ya think, wrap it in a crap bag or go unprotected which we all know feels so much better???

Cheers ears

paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Always wrapped it up. Never been rejected.

But Paulie I know you prefer going raw dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015   #3
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I always found the best way was to fill the boat with gear then tape a cardboard lid around the cockpit.
Like you say, you're gonna pay through the nose anyway so it might as well be over weight and over sized.
But as most of us know, there are some airlines that won't touch it if it's called a kayak. Has to go air freight.
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
If you are going air freight, the best (safest for your gear) would be to make a pallet the size of your boat, pad and wrap the boat. Fasten it to the pallet with metal bands and then wrap the hole thing again, then put don't crush don't double stack warning signs on the top (they are little cardboard pyramids).

The folks that handle air freight are rough as hell with the freight, I know I used to do it for a living. If you don't have stuff palletized so it can be easily handled with a forklift, it will be abused, those guys don't like having to get off the fork. If you don't put no double stacking warnings, it will probably end up under 3000 pounds of other shit.

This can be all done yourself but dropping and picking at the airport, and clearing customs, can be a real bitch. There are lots of companies that just do air freight, they could do everything, you just drop your gear at their warehouse and pick it up at another, but it'll cost a few hundred dollars more.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015   #5
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I wouldn't think twice about sending my boat in the buff. The last 3 times I shipped my boat using Diamond freight I just folded my boat and did 2 cam straps with a note attached "top load only" and it worked great.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote