Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-22-2012   #31
overcrowdedskitown, Colorado
some questions may be answered here...

Iraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #32
overcrowdedskitown, Colorado
The other funny the thing that I just read was, that the more controversy the better the outcome of his projects. So, SShhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Iraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #33
Paddling Since: 96
I didn't know anything about the Rifle Gap project that Christo did in '70-'72 so I "did the google" and read that his engineering was so sound that the first attempt to install it resulted in failure as it was unfurled. He then returned the next year and the "successful" art installation lasted 28 hours! before 60 mile an hour winds destroyed the curtain again. If 60 mph winds are too much for his fabric projects... It also looks like none of the 200 tons of concrete were removed and there are steel I beams laying about. Apparently that project was on private property, but still, not cleaning up after one's self on that scale tells me a lot about where this guy is coming from. I like the term used earlier in this thread. This isn't art, this is spectacle. And on this scale it is industrial spectacle. Maybe as part of his mitigation he could be required to clean up the industrial waste in the Royal Gorge.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #34
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by Iraft View Post
some questions may be answered here...
preview pictures look like sh*t....

potentially much more damaging than rifle gap
KPC80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #35
Personally, I think it will be cool to kayak underneath the rags; it isn't everyday that we get to boat through the middle of something so unique.

I get the whole "clean is relative" thing, but seriously, take a look at that section of river...it's full of concrete and rebar - and, like it's been said, it's already a done deal. Let's make the best of it; let's pray for high water and boat the crap out of it while it lasts. Who knows, maybe some of Christo's concrete blocks will fall in and make some new play waves.

"Always look on the bright side of life whistle whistle whistle..."

kayakben is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas, arkansas river