Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-19-2012   #21
Jenks, Oklahoma

Letter in the mail box for pickup Monday.

I encourage others to do the same. A hand written note seems to get more attention than a email.

If private boaters do not speak up, the commercials, bureaucrats and special interest groups will be the input that gets the attention of the decision makers.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #22
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I may be wrong but I believe that Freemont and Chaffee County as well as the Colorado state patrol are yet to approve the project.

Climbingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Not doubting your word Rdnek ,but are you sure it is a done deal? Just two weeks ago a suit was filed by DU students on behalf of ROAR,and the article dated 2/1/12 also mentioned what Climbingfool said about the counties.Was the suit dropped or resolved already or do you just have good info that it will fail ? I know you have your finger on the pulse of this way better than those of us commenting from the peanut gallery.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #24
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by Climbingfool
I may be wrong but I believe that Freemont and Chaffee County as well as the Colorado state patrol are yet to approve the project.
Can you expand on this?

Although I no longer have a direct "interest" in this, it is close to my heart. I spent 5 seasons as a CO Parks Officer, & consider the Ark my home.

I am not opposed to art. I am opposed to the imposition of ego on the name of art, and I am opposed to Co State Parks continued efforts to pave, electrify, & profit from the lands they were entrusted to hold & protect for future generations.

Shenanigans doesn't begin to describe what is going on down there.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #25
Who are you to judge someone's ego, what, with a couple blurbs you might have read? I live in the canyon. It's funny to see all the rec boaters come out in opposition or even the locals for that matter. When there's no "fire on the horizon" (especially from a frenchman) is anyone actively trying to better the landscape through stewardship of their own? Roar? How bout boaters from oklahoma leaving the river better than they found it? You take what you want, pay your four bucks and head home. Its what we all do.
loosemilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #26
Jenks, Oklahoma
Good point loosemilk!

Been coming to the ARK to float since the 80's. Now retired and coming to the area a lot more during the season.

No, I do not live in the area, wish I did. Other members of the family want to stay in our established home place.

You are correct I pay my AHRA fee, float the river and go home.

What I do and over the years all the people from TX, OK, MO, AR and KS plus others I have floated with have followed the rules, cleaned up what trash we find on the river, supported the BV - Salida - Canon City and Pueblo hotels, campgrounds, food service and as some one pointed out a bunch of convenience stores and grocery stores. What we took away was good memories and left foot prints at the put in and take outs plus over the years a a lot of money in local's pockets. You are right, visitors could do more and your suggestions as what we should do are appreciated.

By the way, I envy your ability to live in such a neat place. Hope Cristo's project leaves your home area as clean as he finds it. And, before the roadside and RR tracks comments start, clean is a relative term in today's world.
Old 02-20-2012   #27
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Good post, Okie- I agree completely. If you responsibly use a resource and contribute to the community in the process, you're playing by the rules. If you alter the resource- as this project will obviously do- then you're taking things to a new and different level. I don't see how obstructing the view of the natural beauty of an area is "art". It's spectacle- The art is already there in abundance.
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #28
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
From the OTR Project Team:

Over The River update
In the months since BLM issued its Record of Decision (ROD), Christo and the Over The River team have been focused on the next phases of the project. This includes development of the Event Management Plans (EMP's) for the initial phases of the project (staging, anchor and Anchor Transition Frame installation), applying for the county permits and finalizing the installation schedule. As we have been working on these tasks, a couple of things have become increasingly apparent.

First, the public continues to express a strong desire to see the specifics of the EMP's that are being developed. These plans will include operational details that address the many traffic, safety and other issues that have been raised. Typically, this level of detail is not included in an EIS but is usually in an EMP that is developed after a ROD has been issued. That is the process we are following, but the EMP's for the initial installation phases won't be fully developed for some months. This leaves little time between completion of each phase of the EMP and the onset of each phase of installation. Christo believes that the public may not have sufficient time to understand this detailed information before installation begins.

Second, the thoroughness of the BLM's environmental review process resulted in the ROD being issued several months later than originally planned. As a result, the BLM's Final EIS authorized 28 months for installation, but only 24 months remained. This timeframe also included many months where work was prohibited in certain areas or otherwise restricted because of mitigation measures designed to avoid sensitive wildlife and recreation seasons. The planning activities since the issuance of the ROD made it increasingly apparent that the remaining installation schedule of 24 months did not allow room for unpredictable events such as severe weather.

For these reasons, Christo has decided to shift the Over The River exhibition date from early August 2014 to early August 2015. This adjustment will allow the EMP's for the initial project phases to be developed before installation begins so that the public will have time to better understand how traffic, safety and other issues will be addressed. It will also reinstate the full 28 month installation schedule, as included in the Final EIS.

All other aspects of Over The River remain unchanged. The number of installation days remains the same and the comprehensive set of more than 100 mitigation measures will remain in place. The Fremont County, Chaffee County, Colorado Department of Transportation and Colorado State Patrol permitting processes will continue as planned.

Christo understands that this news may be disappointing to thousands of local residents and many thousands of art enthusiasts around the world who are looking forward to experiencing Over The River. Nonetheless, this change will result in a better informed public and an improved installation schedule.

An overview of the permitting, installation, exhibition and removal schedule is available on the Over The River website.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #29
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
I somehow think there will be many problems for these idiots and their rags. Christo-ego is a major tool
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #30
Jenks, Oklahoma
"Second, the thoroughness of the BLM's environmental review process resulted in the ROD being issued several months later than originally planned."

Excerpt from the OTR post above. Almost fell out of my chair as I read this! I just do not see the BLM's review being very thorough, biased maybe, but not thorough.

ark, arkansas, arkansas river