Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 02-19-2012   #11

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I looked at the Rifle Gap pics. I just don't get it. It seems ridiculous. What's the appeal?

Old 02-19-2012   #12

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Joke

What a joke. Two plus years of suffering with construction for 2 weeks of viewing. Take it to the S Platte in Denver.

Old 02-19-2012   #13

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Oh no no NIMBY [ So. Platte] if they put it from Union TO Oxford it would block views of the waste treatment facility,junkyard ,and cement plant.We will organize a group 'Sons of the U-Hole ' to fight this
Old 02-19-2012   #14

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Really though it would probably be better in an urban setting,like Pueblo or Denver.But if it goes it will be where they are planning it.Hope they follow through on the cleanup.The locals will need to hold their feet to the fire.
Old 02-19-2012   #15

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuffkayak

Did they not follow up on clean up? Did it Alter what it was from before? Im not familiar with rifle gap. My thoughts personally is if it can not be done within "leave no trace" it should not happen. Colorado is an amazing place that needs to be kept as close to natural as possible.
It was only up for a very brief time before it failed, like most of his projects. There are still concrete slabs & chunks of jagged metal all over, on both sides.
Old 02-19-2012   #16

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Here's a website that has some info (incl pix) of the project. Supposedly the concrete left behind was at the request of the the landowners because they liked the Rifle Gap project so much they wanted a souviener.

I realize art is in the eye of the beholder, but this is beyond words.
Old 02-19-2012   #17

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
If you like to float that section of river.....expect river closures and permits before and after construction.
Dan knows what he is talking about here.

Gotta say that I am still enjoying christo's art - thanks for those who contribute ...

It is super funny that folks will argue back and forth over a decision that has been made - or if you are late to the party OTR has been approved and it going to happen.

All the while the AHRA is working with christo's people behind the scenes (because the AHRA needs christo to pick up the bill). They are working together on a system to ration private boaters as dan said before, during, and after the project... The AHRA then plans to move this "system" christo pays for - to other sections to ration private boaters on the ARK. This is real...

I see it as kinda silly to argue back and forth about a decision that is already made while the AHRA slips a private boater rationing system that is funded by christo right under your nose..

Just a idea but if everyone who replies to these "christo" threads would instead take the time write the AHRA a letter and let them know that you dont want private boater rationing then you may be able to actually have a voice.

Doubtful many boaters will and in the meantime I will continue to enjoy the "art"..
Old 02-19-2012   #18

Jenks, Oklahoma
Did not know about the AHRA deal, do you have an address and I will send a snail mail or email letter to them. I am retired and boat multiple times on the Ark every summer.
Old 02-19-2012   #19

RENO, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2005
Let me get this straight.... you are telling us that down the road, we will be required to pay for after-work sessions at the BV park or permits to run the numbers?
Old 02-19-2012   #20

The next zone, .
Okie not many folks know. I only post on these Christo threads is to let private boaters who may be effected a chance to voice their opinion.

The mailing address to the AHRA is.

Arkansas Headwaters Rec Area
307 West Sackett Ave.
Salida Co. 81201

I have let them know more than once that I never want to see private boaters rationed anywhere on the Ark and I hope some of you voice that opinion as well. In fact I would like to see the AHRA totally do away with the idea of private allocation or rationing.

Play parks in BV and salida are outside of allocation so they will never be rationed. Private boaters only use about 20% of what we are allocated in the #'s so we are safe there.. Above and below the town of "exit" is where private boaters are on the verge of being rationed.

Tags
ark, arkansas, arkansas river