Old 05-20-2008   #11
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Originally Posted by DanRauer View Post
You know, some people may not see it that way. I'm a rafter and I think that the wave is awesome. I go down there nearly every night to watch people surf. However, I somewhat agree that it will cause problems for some inexperienced rafters. That wave was built on a class II run that was really nice to take kids, family etc down at any level. Now there is a wave that could potentially flip a boat. No, you don't have to be a moron to flip there, just in the wrong spot in the river.

I'm sure that there are lots of people out there that think that that wave should not be there. You have to think about the river from other boaters perspectives and not just your own playboating perspective.

I like the wave, but I'm not naive to think that everyone likes it there.

Agree on the class 2, it shouldnt take much to get left or right, and miss any consequences..... Still as class 2 move at most in my opinion....plenty of room to set up! But I could potentially see where people might flip due to not lining up, however downstream doesn't really pose any harsh consequences....

Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #12
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Ok, Moron may not have been the right word to use. I was going to say retard but that was clearly to insensitive.

My point is that the river is very high. If you go down to the river right now it is quite clear that the stretch from 2 rivers to new castle is not at its' normal flow. If you notice that the flow is HUGE and know that you are a rookie, and you know that you have your kids, and you know that you'd never take your kids on anything dangerous, and...... you still put on???? What does that make you? A retard or a moron? Maybe both.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #13
How is the passage compared to South Canyon? There are no public takeouts after the WWP without going through South Canyon.
everything propagates as a wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #14
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Yes, I agree, class II with big ass waves and water moving very fast @ 12k cfs means you should be able to row/paddle/handle class III water, or be ok with flipping.
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #15
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
The south Canyon stretch should really only be a bit of a wave train, but the worst part is the pilon from the bridge that becomes a potential pin, flip obstacle. I have seen a lot of flips from inexperienced people, and actually rescued a bunch last year with the team river runner group. I agree that the wave is big, and the hole is frothy, and will flip a raft, however, at this flow being 12k, it definetly might not be the stroll in the park with the family, on top of colder water. At lower flows its easy to avoid, but even right now I don't think its really posses and abrupt danger to rafters. Its easy to line up, left, or right, just not the middle. I would imagine south canyon at this flow is harder then the park.... or at any flow for that matter. The only public takeout is south canyon from the park down. GCR has a take out just below the park, but its there private companies.....

Just my two cents...

Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote