Old 01-05-2012   #21
Boise, Idaho
I have an Aire Super-duper puma with the fishing frame that Aire sells under their "outcast" line. The same boat would be a Outcast PAC 1400. I absolutely love it.

On real whitewater floats we don't use the fishing frame as it is too heavy, but it is great to fish out of on more casual floats. I second the comment about Aire wet floors and the wind. You will consistently outpace standard floors when fighting the wind and I have run some big stuff w/o flipping. On the other hand, w/o a headwind or if being pushed by a tailwind other rafts will pass you by. It also makes the boat a little heavier to load on a trailer.

I also second the comment that cats kind of suck to fish out of. If for no other reason than the fact that everything you drop is liable to wind up in the drink and that they draft deeper when loaded up and turn into a pig with a fat boy standing up front.

The Maravias with the Streamtech frame are nice. A little lighter than my boat. I fished out of a Spider with that frame the other day. It was solid. The textured coat they put on the Maravias is great this time of year when the raft is iced up solid.

Alectoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #22
Donkey Town, Colorado
Personally I just don't like nrs frames, yes they are way lighter but their set ups just don't do it for me.(totally personal). I also disagree that DRE waste space but thats me. My buddy has a 16' cat with nrs frame which tends to flex if you are hauling a ton of gear. Sotar is bomber they are from Mercia and they do everything to your spec, super taxed though. I would roll an aire or otter if on a medium budget. Get some good oars bro

jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #23
Carbondale, Colorado
Vanguard raft and NRS fishing frame. The Vanguards are bomber, floors so stiff you don't need the casting platforms, draft next to nothing and row really well. I don't like the front fishing seat on any raft so I have a recretec table across the front to sit on - makes a nice place for a coozie, fly patch, or a place to stretch out or get down out of the wind. Thigh bar is necessary in the front. Also, when I'm solo fishing from the boat, I can anchor and stand on the front table and cast a mile. Anchor systems from DRE or AAA are crazy expensive - NRS systems are cheap (relatively speaking) to add onto their complete fishing frame. If you're guiding for a living, I've heard more than one guide say that tips are better when clients spend the day in a drift boat than a raft, regardless of how good the fishing is.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #24
Moab, Utah
my 2c on NRS frames/packages

i have an older 11.5' NRS otter that i fish from with the basic NRS fishing frame (only one person fishing in front). i also have a 15' NRS otter with the full NRS fishing frame (two people fishing, one elevated seat in front and one seat on the stern).

i chose the NRS frames so that i could have maximum flexibility for different uses. i also row both boats for whitewater and overnight trips, so i can easily take the fishing seats off to rig the frame with a cooler, dry box, seat board, etc. the ability to reconfigure other frames such as DRE and AAA is both limited and cumbersome IMO, and the outcast frames cannot be modified at all. i have acquired a few extra cross bars for my frames, so i can just take the fishing seats off and put the straight cross bars in for whitewater with a cooler of beer. or i can leave the front seat on the big raft, and create some gear bays in the middle and stern of the boat to be rigged for a multi-day fishing trip.

my neighbor also has the 14' NRS Otter fishing package (included raft, frame, oars, lean bars, casting floors, etc) that he purchased in 2010, so i have fished on that several times. i don't find the casting floors and lean bars to be of much use for the type of water i like to fish in colorado, but that is admittedly my personal choice. if i were fishing slower water with very few rapids (like sections A/B/C of the green for example) more regularly, a casting floor may have more appeal to me. one thing to note here is that my neighbor sold a 16' cat with a NRS fishing frame set up (only one fishing seat up front) to buy his 14' raft package. he said he wanted the additional flexibility the raft would offer and he felt safer taking his kids in the raft instead of the cat.

if i were to only have one raft for fishing, i would choose a 13'. i think a 13' raft is large enough to comfortably fish with two people (one in front and one in back), but still agile and small enough to take out when the water gets a little low. my 11.5' raft is packed full for a day trip with just one person fishing, and it would be very tight (basically impossible) to put a stern seat on that set up. having fished and rowed my neighbors 14', i find it a little too big when the water starts getting low. it is also difficult to move around and get on the trailer if there are only two of us.

given all of this, a 13' raft would be an ideal size for fishing colorado IMO. if i could only have one, i would choose the 13' NRS fishing package and get a couple extra cross bars to give me the flexibility to rig for whitewater and booze cruises. i would also get the NRS anchor system added to the package, it is a great addition for the money. this is all based on my personal preferences, experiences, and the water i like to fish, so i certainly respect the opinions and preferences that other folks have expressed here. the bottom line is that whatever craft and frame you choose you will be able to enjoy some great fishing.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #25
Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I have always used cats for fishing. No one out here really uses rafts at all. It's all drift boats or cats. In fact I have never seen a raft on any of the rivers I fish while I have been out.
I do know when it gets low the cats are very easy to get off of rocks or a gravel bar.
Of course Idaho guys have different ideas then us out here . You will never really see an erector set NRS frame on the water either. We can weld out this way
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #26
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I have Maravia spider w stream tech logo on it but I have a NRs frame that I can run a fishing set up or remove a few parts and add a flat bar up front for white water and overnighters. I have done browns the gorge and numbers in my little boat with no problems. It has packed me and my buddy on a four day beer cruise down the tounge river with ease. I think there's a pic in my gallery of it loaded up. Maravia has great costumer service as well. I am going to get a bigger Maravia this year and weld m own frame.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #27
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
Originally Posted by riverrunr77 View Post
You will never really see an erector set NRS frame on the water either. We can weld out this way
That's good fun right there...

I really don't understand Wildcat's POV. Other than the fact that he really likes NRS frames. How does going from 1 5/8" - 1 7/8" pipe equate to "big and bulky" or "cramped".

Getting back to the original questions...

I have to STRONGLY agree with riverrunr77 about Streamtech. I think it's sad that some guy with money came along and wrote up a deal with some folks to be the middle man. That company isn't doing a god damn thing besides stenciling their name on a Maravia boat and providing a really sweet website. They even targeted Facebook for a good bit...

So, if you want a Maravia, contact your LOCAL dealer. But, you should know that Maravias tend to be blown around a LOT. The only boat that has any advantage in the wind would be the (Standard Floor) AIRE. Which takes on a number of gallons of water and provides a ballast.

And as for the question raised earlier...Maravias are Urethane coated PVC. Sotar is a urethane fabric. AIRE also has introduced a Urethane fabric.

Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #28
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo

Sotars are apparently either nylon or polyester and are coated with urethane.

It was discussed here earlier.

Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote