Old 06-21-2005   #1
Rafts on Fraser???

If the flows keep up, can a raft make it down the Fraser? How is the put-in and take-out locations for a raft? Thanks.

Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #2
getting down would be no problem and the takeout is cake...

The put in I've used could be tricky if the train is parked there. You'd probably have to wait for it to leave.

Not sure about alternates...

BigLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #3

BigLoco, Thanks. I didn't mention our raft is a 15' will be loaded light with two of us and a dog. And as an oar rig. Good to hear that we should be able to float the section. Sounds fun, the little canyon has always looked cool. Do you know any info about putting in up higher like near safeway? or go way lower to solvista? thanks in advance for any other information offered up.
Old 06-21-2005   #4
There is no higher putin (near Safeway). Lots of fences. The main takeout (by road near Sol Vista) is the best place to take out, but you may run into problems with the authorities (we did last season). You can run all the way to the Highway 40 bridge in Granby, but watch for low lying fence wires crossing the river in 2 spots.

Watch out for Thumper, in the canyon. A month ago there were 2 river-wide strainers on either end of it that would have been a big problem at higher flows. Not sure if anyone has cleaned these out yet or not: Big tree all the way across the river on top; rope tied bank to bank by RR to catch diesel spill remnants (Very dangerous!). Scout for sure!

Nice canyon, lots of flat water, very little excitement! Do it for the scenery, not for the whitewater!
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #5
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
We just ran it last night and it was screaming (compared to the last 6 times I've run it these past weeks). Personally, I think a 15' Oar Rig is a bit of a stretch as it's very curvy and tight in places not to mention hauling it all over the RR tracks. Just below the confluence of Hurd Creek about 1/2 mile there's a cable which we (on my 11-1/2' Otter - paddleboat) had to limbo under so there's potential for hang-up with your frame.

It's definitely worth doing because it doesn't run that often, I'd just see if you can get ahold of a smaller boat and assemble a paddle crew instead.

Have fun and be safe
CWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #6
thanks for the info. I think its best if I get up there and run it in my yak first and then make my own call. the 15' is new to me, and WHOLE lot bigger than my previous 12', and i sometimes forget that....So, if your local, what are your thoughts on minimum flows for teh upper blue (in the 15')and how long will it last. Trying to paddle some new water. But may end up at the poudre this weekend to take advantage of the nice flows...
Old 06-22-2005   #7
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Again, the Upper Blue is another pretty tight run - especially in light of the two strainers reported in another forum topic. We had the good fortune to run it last Labor Day weekend when they released water from Dillon reservoir and I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 - 700 cfs. We paddled and it seemed to be a good level - any lower and the first mile or so I think you'd be running over some rocks. I did see some oar rigs last time we ran it, but keep in mind the take-out is uphill - not as bad as hauling the rig over RR tracks, but arduous nonetheless...

CWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote