Old 09-30-2005   #21
pnw, Washington
Thank you for all your feedback, very helpful. Ok next question, how wide a crossbar do you need to carry 4 boats? Thinking about going with the yakima crossbar and attachments using the thule stacker. With the stacker could you carry 4 boats on the 48" crossbar or would it require a 58"? Not sure that my car would do well with anything bigger than the 48" but I wanted to try to get an idea.
When I first posted this I was thinking of changing cars but now I am looking at attaching a better rack to my existing cars factory rails so any help would be appreciated.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #22
Moab, Utah
gman, i have 58" bars on my 04 suby outback. they do overhang a little bit, but it is ok for me. my wife bumped her head a few times when the rack was newly installed, but it just boils down to a training issue. once you are used to avoiding the bars, you don't hit your head. and in all seriousness, they do not overhang that far.

as for carrying capacity, i have a rocket box on my 58" bars, and can carry three boats stacked with my yakima stacker. this is the single bar stacker with the hooks on the end, not a loop style stacker like thule. without the rocket box, i could easily get 2 more boats on, but i don't think 6 would fit. I think 4 boats would fit on 48" bars with a single bar yakima stacker (might be tight with a loop stacker), and it would certainly work to put them flat (side by side, 2 high) without a stacker.

the biggest pitfall of putting yakima on the suby roof rails is the rail rider towers. i think these towers suck. as i said earlier, the racks have been on the car less than 2 years, and they have shifted position and needed to be repositioned/retightened twice already (and they need it again now). i can't figure out why the towers slip on the rails, but they just do. i am not concerned with them flying off, but they just shift a few inches over time. later.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #23
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
When I got my first boat, I tried to store it on my back deck of my apartment. Well, I got this fancy letter that said that is agains the rules, so I just put it on my factory rack and drove around with it all summer, and it was ready to go when I went boating. (That's back when gas mileage didn't matter).

Well I noticed that it oil canned real bad, especially where one of the straps (or bar, depending on if it was upside down) went accross the hull. This is one big reason I got the stacker. Boat goes on snug without having to crank it down too hard. (Now I have a garage too, but my new dagger seemed "softer" than my old WS X that oil canned.

Anyways, that what my experience was. GH, I think my bars are 50 inches by the way. I can't remember if I could do 4 boats up there or not on that size, I don't think I ever had to.

True, you can get a bunch of boats up on rack without stackers. I guess it is easier with a longer flat thule or yakima rack than with my old curved factory rack. I just remember them flying around, and overall didn't work real good.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote