Old 11-03-2012   #11
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for clarifying guys, I was sure I was right.. I ran it in 2007, and I believe they did it not long before that.

It seems like it would be an absolute nightmare trying to make downstream progress with a raft, but of course they were rewarded with being able to experience one of the most amazing places on the planet.

With that being said, there's a reason that it probably hasn't been rafted since.

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012   #12
Moscow, Idaho
Ankle Breaker aside, Deliberation through Sunshine Sieve would be horrible with a raft. Only a matter of time until the creature crafts come in and run the whole thing with no portages. All they'll need is scuba tanks.

"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #13
missoula, montana
Paddling Since: 1990
Well I guess I have to do it before the creatures get there. I spend most of my time on a cat and would think you'd be better off with a raft, just because with all those narrow slots you'd be shipping your oars all the time...but if you paddled a cat Russian style... what level does it go from being big to scary and when does it dry up?
sean_d_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #14
Nampa, Idaho
I might be mistaken, but I believe you are looking for like 800-1200cfs. That happens usually for about one week in July or early August. Not certain on that, so don't quote me.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #15
Boise/Hokitika (New Zealand), Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
I agee with ootek

Pot's is not much of a raft run... tight, shallow, rocky creeking. Maybe (and I mean maybe!) at high flows if you have the balls?!?! Even then I'd question if it could be done... but good one ya if you get er' done. Woodbine would be a fun time at higher flows in a R2, although chrome mine might be a bit difficult (the top of it).

If you need someone to boat with (kayak) this upcoming spring, private message me for a phone # exchange.
burnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #16
Pots is asking for trouble in a raft, but...

If you are as skilled and inclined as you seem to be, just make sure that you give a good long look toward the sieve in the final drop. At the flows you will need to make a raft run feasible, a swimmer would be very hard pressed to get out before getting stuffed in it. The majority of the flow plows into it and a swimmer would most likely not make it out the other side. Perhaps it has changed since the last time I ran it, but it was pretty serious and consequential for a swimmer or a raft even slightly offline. Neither of these runs are going to be great for a raft. It is just the wrong type of craft to enjoy the trip, but to each their own. I would recommend Hells Canyon of the Boulder at solid flows first (2500 cfs and up), before either of these to make sure you got it together on runs that don't (shouldn't?) get rafted. Plenty of challenging moves and sticky holes, all with more survivable swims than the other two. Good warm-up for ya anyway. Best of luck.

stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote