Old 06-26-2009   #1
old colorado city, Colorado
R2 positioning w/ Mini-me? Footcups?

I just recently got a Hyside Mini-me and have been really enjoying R3'ing it. All three of us have felt super bomber with our foot placements with the 1 thwart design. However, when we R2 it we can't seem to find a good position we feel comfortable in. If we try to wedge our feet between the floor and tube in the front and back we feel all spread out and not secure. We have tried to jam the front foot in between the front tube and floor and the back foot under the thwart but this feels awkward as well. I am thinking about putting footcups in the front and maybe even in the back? Any thoughts?

I have seen some people R2 with both in the front area and a drybag in the back to offset the weight, but this seems weird to me.

Also, we have been R2'ing it Class III water with the two of us offset. (i.e. 1 is back right in the "guide position" w/ the right foot jammed under the thwart and left foot under the back left tube and floor....1 is front left having the right foot under the thwart and the left foot up between the floor and front left tube) This seems to work OK, but I am worried this makes the already tippy Mini-me even more tippy? Thoughts??

I feel like we need to find a set-up where we are sitting across from one another in the middle of the boat while stradling the thwart.

sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Sit across from each other when r2. more stable from bow to stern as well as side to side. more of a center of gravity, less tippy or more controllable how ever you want to look at it.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Is the mini-me thwart right in the middle of the boat?
pearen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #4
One Thwart

The mini-me I have, has only one thwart in the middle of the boat.
Old 06-27-2009   #5
C. Springs, Colorado
You need to be able to move your thwart to a more aft position. If yours is removable need to glue on another thwart mount behind the existing one. Mine was not removable so I added a two position thwart mount from NRS so I can position it for R2. This makes it so I can remove it all together when I put on my row frame. Hope this helps.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #6
thwart movement?

Moving the thwart back sounds like an interesting option. I do have a removable thwart w/ pins so I could glue an additional thwart placement behind the current one and have two different options for R2'in or R3'in?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this manner?

Also, I was even thinking about redesigning the mini-me to have two thwarts instead of one? I have seen other 9.5ft. boats with two thwarts and it seems to work OK?

I wonder if I would have enough room with two thwarts to guide off the back with 3 people?
Old 06-30-2009   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
So, I R2 a three thwart Maravia Spider and sit with my feet between the front and middle thwarts and lean back to an ohshit handle on the aft thwart. This setup is awesome and I have never seen one better. If you were to replace the security of the front thwart with a footcup for each paddler and replace the ohshit handle aft with some system of strap off the Ds, then I think it would be just as bomber. Whatever you do, you want the paddler's sitting right on the middle (fore/aft) of the boat.
pearen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #8
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007

I also run R2 as you mentioned with boffus sitting in the bow area with one foot jammed between floor and tube and the other against/under thwart. I hvae some footcups and thought about installing them but the bow area is so small that the footcups would take up the whole I have held off...

I dont feel too bow heavy with two sitting in the front...actually it probably helps to punch waves/holes a little better in such a small boat...the oar rig is stern heavy but that's a whole different story.

Another few notes, I strap the spare paddles on the thwart with the paddles running perpindicular to the bow/stern...gotta have a couple of spares for sure!

Also, sex wax the tubes where your butt sits, you will spend less time in the water on bigger rapids, trust me!

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote