Old 04-13-2005   #1
Questions about Glenwood...

Somehow I got myself involved in a taking a small youth group (about 10 youth) on a “river adventure” down the Grizzly to New Castle section in duckies with myself as the “safety kayaker”. We’ll probably run the easy sections of the Roaring Fork as well so I think the kids should have a good time.

Problem 1 – Camping: I need to find some good (meaning needs an outhouse), cheap, camping near Glenwood. Any ideas?? Even 30+mins away but cheap would still work.

Problem 2 - Boats: Least expensive, multiple day duckie rentals. Anyone know where I can get ‘em?

bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #2
Rock Gardens can be real reasonable this time of year and you could even begin your trip right there were you are camping. I do not know if the toilets are turned on yet and all that but they also rent duckies I believe.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #3
Salida, Colorado
You might wamt to checkout the KOA campground in New Castle. I've rented fron Whitewater over the years and like them fine,
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #4
Bingo -
We have many tandem and single person duckies available if you're located in the front range. Paddles, PFD's, etc, as well.

ALPENGLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #5
Salida, Colorado
Oh yeah, Ami's Acres and the Hideout have camping too. In the phone book. If the roads open Avalance Creek in the Nat'l forest is good. And so is the BRB campground above C-dale.
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #6
Moab, Utah
Rock Garden - Arrrgghh!

I have only camped at Rock Garden once, and now vow never to return. The trains go through that canyon multiple times through the night, and they are loud. Camper Beware - unless you are totally wasted and/or can sleep through the end of the world, you will probably not get a peaceful night's sleep.

There is a BLM campground near Wolcott, probably not very full yet. get off I70 at Wolcott, and go about 1.5 miles west on HWY 6. Right by the river, and there are a couple large rocks there that folks boulder on (fun for the kids?). A little more than 30 minutes to Glenwood, but far less than 1 hour.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #7
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Anyone know about rates/availability at the No Name campground?

Also - something to consider is that if you'll be boating before June in any weather short of a heat wave, you'll likely want wetsuits for anyone that will be paddling duckies.

Have fun!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #8
Thanks for all the help!! I really appreciate it.

bingo is offline   Reply With Quote

« big cim | Waterton »