Old 01-31-2011   #1
Paddling Since: 96
Question on Ark winter levels

Can someone take the time to give me/us a rundown on what the factors are that would put 250 to 300 CFS in the rio (Granite gauge) now, when "normal" is 110? Where are they taking it from (reservoirs) and moving it to? Why this now?

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #2
The next zone, .
Phil I can fill ya in on the flow program over a beer if ya want sometime as I dont have the time to type it all here but the short if it is that..

The fisherfolks want very low water in the spring and for the caddis hatch. This is for fry emergence and IMO also so all the fish are pooled up and easier to catch. This is ONLY done for the DOW and fishermen as DNR, CSU, and boaters would like to see this water released in the spring so we all can boat on it. IMO a 100 more cfs in the ditch in April/March or Sept/Oct will not hurt the fishery at all.. The DOW will site a study done in 2002 (IMO it should also be thrown out as the 100 yr drought it is not a correct data set to base anything off of) and will fight tooth and nail to force the release of this water in the winter and not the fall or summer.

Private boaters can have a voice in all of this so let your CTF rep know that you want to see more flows in the shoulder seasons as your #1 priority in the management plan review of the ARK that is coming up. Here is the tread - Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Management Plan Review by CTF Let Leslie our private boater rep know what you want and tell her to fight for it...

That is the short and hit me up sometime for the long version if you want.

"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #3
Leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Some Winters there are good explanations here WaterFlow Announcements
Sometimes it is just announcements, but always interesting. By the looks of the Twin Lakes shoreline that is the answer to where it's comming from.
Tkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
They continue to raise the winter flows claiming they need to "make room" for spring runoff...

BOR Update - Monday, January 31, 2011
Snowpack in the collection system continues to accumulate. In order to have sufficient room available for spring imports it is necessary to increase the movement of water from Turquoise Lake to Twin Lakes.
This will also necessitate the movement of water from Twin Lakes to Pueblo Reservoir. Future forecasts of available imports may result in the need to adjust accordingly.
Twin Lakes Dam
Monday, January 31, 2011, at 1200 Hours - Increase the project run from Twin Lakes to Pueblo from 150 cfs to 200 cfs.
Tuesday, February 1, 2011, at 1200 Hours - Increase the project run from Twin Lakes to Pueblo from 200 cfs to 250 cfs.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #5
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The word I got today is the BOR is planning to run this extra 325, that is kicking us over 500 here in Salida, until at least the 15th. There is a very good chance, with the snowpack at 130%, they won't drop it until the 21st. Then the word is they will only take out 225 meaning we could avoid the dreaded "drop to native flows" order this year and least stay above really low flows until run off. I am going paddling in an hour...I recommend you do the same. Cheers!
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks for the update, Mike. So in other words get it while you can!
dustin.heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #7
The flows will be dropping this coming week:

WaterFlow Announcements

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote