Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-20-2005   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Question for West Slope boaters (Chamberlain et al)

Has anyone checked out the next drainage downriver from Escalante? I was looking around the Dominguez Canyon area for a float trip for Pops and came across a few photos (one of which I dropped into the gallery) that looked promising. It's called Big Dominguez Creek. The waterfall in that photo is apparently a 40 footer, and there were a few more that showed some potential.

Has anyone hiked this? Or has it been boated? It's gotta be running & I'm thinking about checking it out this weekend...

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I have hiked it. Parts look runnable (but easy) the water fall looked way too big. I think Tom C wrote about someone runnning parts of it. Did not sound worth repeating. It does make a great hike up from the Gunny. I've heard there are petroglyph, though we did not see any. Very beautiful country.

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #3
Yeah, Pete Foster ran it solo many years ago all the way from up above Uniweep Canyon. He said it was lots of "irrigation ditch boating" with just a few fun runnable drops towards the bottom. I don't think anyone has (or will) run the big falls. It's probably +/-50 feet tall and lands in a flat rock pool that's about one foot deep.

If you are into carrying your boat you could hike up and boat a few really cool looking drops. Seems like it would be a long walk.
Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote