Old 10-16-2004   #1
question about jackson kayaks

In the previous post you mentioned I should look at the Jackson Kayak line. I am very interested in your advice. I was originally looking at the the 4Fun, but decided it might not have enough play for me. I am fairly new to the sport, but I just did not want to get into a boat that I was going to out grow very quickly. As far as the SuperStar I have not heard alot about it. Basically I'm looking for a boat that will allow me to progress relatively easy in my playboating skills while still able to run class III and maybe the occasional class IV. Maybe I'm over looking the 4fun? Tell me about it. I will not be able to demo the boats however seeing that I live in Texas. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. As well as any advice anyone else can give me that is reading this.

benjam4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #2
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw

These are questions that will have answers only after you get more time on the water. But if you are just entering the sport, regardless of the manufacturer I would be looking for a boat with the most stability... the most comfortable, and one that rolls with ease. Most play boats these days are pretty well refined and you can't go wrong if you stick with the ones that you have been looking at (kingpin, SX, etc). My point is that you want to progress quickly and you will get there that much faster if you have a boat that covers those areas the best.
If you want to stick with a pure freestyle type boat, the Jackson that best fits that catagory is the Star series. But I am not sure that you wouldn't be more happy with the 4fun.... You should try them both if you can. The Fun is a fantastic play boat, but really is a great river runner first. EJ took 1st place in almost every one of the competitions he entered around the US/Canada in his Fun until we got the Star series out just months ago. Now he is really going off with the Star. Check the website for more of that info

But the important thing to focus on is really what you want to do. I myself suck at full on freestyle. Just a fact that I can't seem to do much about. The result is that I spend most of my life Creek'n or River Running. That is why my primary boat is the 4fun (at 6.1 195 I am at the mid to top weight range maxing at around 210 IMO). The SuperStar will make my free style better, but I am not sure that I will ever put that much into it compared to Creek'n.

If you want to give me a holler... feel free at 303-517-2621. I am leaving for Hawaii for a few weeks on next Thursday.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote