Old 09-25-2008   #1
westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
question about glasses

I am a new boater and wear glasses. For mountainbiking and skiing I wear contacts, but for being in the water contacts are not working for me. So for the folks that wear glasses when boating, do you buy a seperate boating pair or do you just put a ribbon and go out with regular glasses?

thank you for your help.

corien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #2
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I tried glasses and could never get them to work. They always fogged up. I also wore contacts for my first four years boating. They were OK as long as I kept my eyes closed under water and kept a spare set in my pfd. Lost quite a few.
I finally got wise and had Lasik a couple of years ago and I really wish I had done it sooner. If it is an option, I would definitely go that route. Boating is a lifestyle in which you will spend a lot of time camping or crashing in your car. Contacts are more work than they are worth.
If you would like recommendations on a surgeon, feel free to PM me.

Happy Boating!

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #3
pnw, Washington
i think accuvision II is the brand that works in water. I can look tonight if you want but after some research I found that this brand works well and will clear with just a blink. I have only lost one in the last 3 years and it was attached to my cheek so i just put it back in.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Daily wear Accuvue II - 15 days on the grand canyon and never lost one and only had one go off to the side once. And yes, I always open my eyes, even in muddy water, instinct, I guess. Cheap sunglasses cut down on some of the splashing and reduce the blinking.
I used to use the 2-week version but my eye dr. thought that that was gross and hooked me on the daily tossable ones. Cheaper than an eye infection.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #5
Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
I've been boating for 10 years, with Acuvue Toric's and only lost one contact in that time. Always keep my eyes closed when upside down, and usually wear sunglasses to help protect my eyes from splashing water.

Contacts sliding around only bothers me when running class V, usually they recenter and/or clear up with one or two blinks.

I wouldn't want to rely on glasses as they can fog easily. Good luck figuring out a solution!

dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #6
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Yeah, I paddle blind. The water on the glasses was more distracting than the benefit of having them. Never got the contacts to work right. Planning on surgery in the near future.
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #7
westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
thanks for all the replies. friends of mine told me i should get lasiks and swear by it. it is such a scary thought to have work done on my eyes, and i am sure every single person that has done the surgery has gone through the same fear. but since i have moved to colorado i am either in the water, the snow, or on a mountainbike, all sports that would benefit from you notice how i am trying to convince myself ?

the contacts solution would be another route. i didn't even know there were contacts that are specifically water based.

again, thanks alot for the feedback.
corien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #8
pnw, Washington
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
Yeah, I paddle blind.
explains alot.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #9
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I have pretty bad prism in both eyes, in opposite directions, so contacts aren't an option for me, and lasik can't correct that.

So I'm forced into glasses.
For 4 years, I have worn one pair of RecSpecs with my prescription in them, and they've worked really really well. I had them tinted, and they are my regular sunglasses when I'm driving, biking, or just being cooler than everyone else.

I have very little problem with fogging except in early season, and the solution is to keep them wet by splashing water on them, or to pull them a little farther off your face. Once I get going downstream, air current tends to peel the fog away. It's never been enough to screw me up so long as I proactively dealt with the fogging by treating the lense, or waiting for my face to dry a bit.

I use either one or two safety straps on my glasses, and have never lost a pair.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #10
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you get lasik a couple things to know:

1. Most people's eyes stabilize in their late 20's to about 30. You will need to get your previous prescriptions and make sure that your prescription is stable. If your prescription isn't stable you will need more lasik or glasses/contacts again. The lasik providers I have seen never did this for me, they mostly wanted my money and to schedule me ASAP.

2. You want the custom or wavefront lasik (where they map your cornea and provide a customized procedure) from a laser with a tracking system (the tracker reduces all sorts of ugly errors). I think that both of these are fairly standard now.

3. You will probably need reading glasses when you are about 40 or 45 and from then on.

You could also just get a raft instead, it would cost about the same amount of cash and I have no problems wearing glasses even on the hard stuff.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote