Old 09-25-2008   #11
I've worn my sunglasses a few times and while it was nice to be able to see they fogged up. I was told to take them to a scuba shop and get an anti-fog on them. Never did, but if my eyes get worse I may in the future.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by corien View Post
benefit from you notice how i am trying to convince myself ?
Mmm, I hear ya. The bottom line seems to be that if you have surgery and no problems, then it's the best thing you've ever done. If you're one of the few that encounters nasty complications, then you're kicking yourself for the rest of your life. I've had the same dilemma.

I also use contacts and it's definitely true that some contacts do a lot better in water than others. I've had good luck with Acuvue Oasys. I've never lost a contact before, but contact malfunctions do happen where you'll get blurred vision until you blink it out. I find this to be especially a problem in bigger water and/or really gritty water. Also, although I don't entirely understand the mechanism, it seems if you acclimate your eyes to the water by splashing a little bit of water in them, it's less likely you'll have a contact malfunction. Above a drop, I often just hold my eyes open, splash a little water in them - they may go a little blurry - and then I blink it back to normal. That seems to cut down on the probability that a splash in the eyes will cause them to go blurry in the middle of the rapid.

Another thing that helps to minimize trouble is to wear a pair of normal wrap around glasses as well. If you put a croakie type thing on them, then if they start fogging you can just drop them down around your neck. It also provides some extra rock protection, just in case. And yeah, various anti-fog things help, but nothing will prevent fogging in the right weather conditions. Not the perfect solution, but another option. I also keep spare contacts in my pfd. To prevent further deterioration in your vision I suggest stop reading.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #13
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I have a family member that had lasik and played 2nd base for the Rockies 2 days later. It's amazing what doctor's with light sabers can do!

Just be glad that natural selection doesn't happen anymore!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #14
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I wear contacts and glasses, but stick to the glasses for kayaking. Being able to open my eyes under water is helpful in many ways. Seeing a large rock nearby so you delay opening up for your roll can save you from a smashed face or a dislocated shoulder. Not to mention being able to see the surface of the water. I use a photo-gray lens in a decent size, not too small. This way I have both eye protection and my lens darken if it is sunny, but lighten if I am in dark shadows. As for fogging, just get divers drops. That is what scuba divers use in their masks to keep them from fogging and it works great on my glasses. I never have fogging problems with it.

I would like to have Lasik too, but I am hesitant. Everyone I know that has had it, has had problems with their night vision. Almost all see halos around any lights and a few of them have given up driving at night because of it. If you read the fine print at the doctors office, 10% have problems with the surgery. It does not sound like much until you look at it as 1 out 10 people will have problems. I just figure I will give them some more years to perfect it some more.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #15
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I put off eye surgery for years due to finances. I had to have PRK instead of Lasik, and I did it last winter. What a difference seeing makes while kayaking!!! If you can do it, do it! No fogging glasses and no taking your hand off of the paddle to rub your contact back into place. Plus, for some reason I really enjoy opening my eyes under water when I roll. It has really made me enjoy my season more--go for it!
KimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #16
westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
ok. i made an appointment for a one hour consultation at a recommended surgeon in boulder on monday morning. i also checked out the rec spec glasses. i definitely will get a pair of those if i chicken out of the lasik surgery.

again, thanks for all the feedback guys.
corien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #17
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
If surgery doesn't work out, glasses are fine too. I've been wearing mine on the river for years, Class I-V+. You just learn to keep your head tucked and wear the proper helmets. I used to use a face mask for anything over class III or IV, now a FNA full face helmet. Fogging happens no matter what, you just get used to it, and splash water on your face. Just keep an extra pair in your drybag, and use crookies (ones with a piece of bright colored foam on them, if they fall off for somereason, they will come floating by.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #18
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008

I had Lasik last November, and I love it! Had mine done by Dr. Wright at the Wright Eye Center here in the Springs. Maybe I'm an exception, but the Night Vision is NOT as bad as most people make it out to be. The halo's and starbursts are no worse than when I used to wear glasses and contacts.

20/15 in my left, and 20/20 in my right eye. The constantly putting eye drops in your eyes for a few months got annoying, but eventually, after your eyes have healed some, you won't have to worry about eye drops anymore.

I've only been kayaking since April/May, and I have had no problems with my eyes; while in the boat, and as well as swimming.

If you go the surgery route, now would be a good time to do so, since the flows are fairly low in most places now, you really woulnd't be missing the "kayaking season", then you'd be good-to-go for when spring and summer hit.

Happy and Safe paddling!

Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote