Old 04-15-2013   #21
Wanaka,, New Zealand
Paddling Since: ?
great to hear about other paraplegics getting out there. I had a paragliding accident 5 years ago and broke my back. I was previously a grade 4 paddler in australia and have recently been on a journey to relearn to roll and kayak.
Over the last couple of years i have paddled a couple of times a year on easy grade 2 ish water but pretty irregular. Since christmas i have been on a mission to try and regain my roll and paddle some more interesting ww. The roll has been a real struggle for me being much harder to regain than i thought. i have had some success but am far from having a useful combat roll. Here is some video of me recent successes.

I would love to say that i have been able to repeat this and prgress it but not yet. still a work in progress.

qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #22
Any kind of bracing or special arrangements you may need for the inside of your kayak I will fabricate for you out of aluminum, foam, etc. Just send me the specs. No charge for labor, materials or shipping.
I'm a ACA whitewater instructor, been boating for 20 years and will do what I can to help you get on the water.

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #23
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Dude you got skill don't give up you almost got it keep that head down brother! Nice eddies too btw the free pinky is key to a good stroke you got it!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #24
This reminds me of that post a few weeks ago. I wonder if you could get ahold of this guy and see if he has any recommendations for altered techniques that help him. 'Walk on Water': Paraplegic discovers kayaking after skiing accident |

*edit* Woops this is posted down the home page right now. Still worth a shot. I am sure he knows more about what you need to do than anyone else.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #25
Wanaka,, New Zealand
thanks, especially mrkyak for his kind offer.

I am paddling a really standard burn and with the correct fitout and the footrest under pressure i stay in ok. i little to OK maybe if you know what i mean. wet exits arent quite as easy as i would like.
It seems to be a fine line between staying in and getting out. I have resisted the suicide strap as a last resort.

i have been in touch with greg mallory which was helpfully he uses a foam block to keep his legs under the braces and when removed falls straight out. so i might look at that.

after the successes in the video i have had a couple of sessions but havent been able to repeat it 100% so the journey continues.

i definetly need to become more flexible. so will work on that over the winter.
Old 04-16-2013   #26
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Gman - You might also want to pick Greg's brain about the ways that he has people get him in at the putin, portaged and out. He has a very specific set up in mind for each spot and a great degree of trust in those helping him.

As example, I recall him being lowered to the Green Truss putin in his boat. It's a solid 100' cliff. I've also watched him, still in the boat, being pulled out of Canyon Creek by a rope attached to a car that slowly backed up.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #27
Wanaka,, New Zealand
yeah logistics can be a tough one but there are lots of rivers to paddle with relatively easy access put ins and take outs. usually 2 guys dragging is enough to sort it out. but i suppose as i get more adventurous that will become more of an issue. having a strong roll is really my focus as it removes a lot of potential problems and risk.
Old 04-17-2013   #28
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Hey Tonka. I'm a Special Ed teacher so I have some experience with people with disabilities. I'm also on the board of a new adaptive rec. nonprofit in Missoula. We are setting up a rafting program and could use a safety boater when your ready. In the mean time I'd be happy to paddle with you to get you started. We're about an hour and a half apart on I90. If you're interested send me a PM.

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote