Old 10-01-2011   #1
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Pumphouse to Dotsero October, Duckies?

Looking for any insight or advice re: duckies from Pumphouse to Dotsero sometime in October. Prepared for chilly weather - but never gone below State Bridge. Is Pinball doable at this flow? (about 1200)
Everyone going has plenty of experience, especially this summer with the big water, and bringing backpacker style gear, so trying to travel light. Going for a 3 day trip of some combination of PH - Dotsero, might not do the whole way. Any suggestions? Great camps? Places to avoid? Bad take outs? Etc....
Thanks a TON for any info you can pass along...

8hrstoradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Just went from State Bridge to Dotsero in 3 days in my 14' raft, so low water will not be a problem. You'll have pretty longs days at current flows but should be able to move faster than I did in my raft. If you end up doing 3 days and the whole thing I would camp at Windy Gap just below State Bridge the first day. Great camp and there are pit toilets a short walk away. If windy gap is taken then there is an awesome large sand beach less than a mile downstream on the left. Actually the sand beach camp may be cooler than Windy Gap, something about being right on the water and not having to wear shoes. Next night, camp at Jack Flats- awesome campsite with some cool side hikes. Its 25 miles from Windy Gap to Jack Flats so that will be a long day. I did it in just over 8 hours with ALOT of rowing. Those are my suggestions. Definately doable though. Have Fun!

goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #3
Silverthorne, Colorado
While running shuttle set strategic caches of supplies. a few well hidden coolers full of ice and beer will lighten the load! Windy Point (toilet and table), Jacks Flat (wilderness) and Cottonwood or Lyons Gulch (toilet and table) would make excellent and appropriately spaced camps. about 20 river miles per day. Extra credit = surf Burn's rodeo hole and spin a few shoshone laps in glenwood canyon. Enjoy
webby is offline   Reply With Quote