Old 06-07-2010   #11
3, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Did that Eye and Yarmony 3 times last week in my 16 foot raft.....Eyes pretty tamed at recent flows but Yarmony...GOOD LUCK with the canoe...bring your bathing suit and waterwings. ha ha.. Do the raft and enjoy the run!
Just my two cents.

Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #12
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Pumphouse to Catamount?

Me and a few others are planning on boating from Pumphouse to Catamount this weekend on the Colorado. I had a couple of questions that I hope someone could answer.

1) We are starting on Saturday, what are our odds of finding an open camp spot before State bridge? Can we camp on BLM land? We have a firepan, groover, tables, etc and practice zero impact camping.

2) I have seen some cliff jump movies on youtube, and it says it is the Pumphouse cliffs on the Colorado. Are these at the Pumphouse put-in / downstream / upstream?

Thanks for any info - BS

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #13
Silverthorne, Colorado
There are many fine camps between Red Gorge and State Bridge. Even on a saturday you should not have a problem finding a suitable site. Having the proper gear helps, since the most popular camps (some with toilets and picinic tables) maybe full. Try the camps at The Benches. Or less used camps Left channel just after Bonehead Rapid, Cable Rapids Camp or at the Piney River confluence. The cliffs are convienently located near the Raduim warm spring, about 3.5 miles downstream of the Pumphouse. The large jump is the cliff directly above the springs on river left. The "commercial" jump rock is just downstream on river right. Enjoy
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #14
Park City, Utah
Thanks for the reply. Are the sites you mentioned for camping, marked sites, or just places with beaches? Am I able to camp on all BLM land, or just marked sites?

How big are the two different jumps? I saw two different ones on youtube. One looked like 25' while the other looked almost 50'.

Thanks again - BS
Old 07-13-2010   #15
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I floated Pumphouse to State Bridge For the first time this year. It was a busy weekend but we had no trouble finding a beautiful marked campsite at Benches. We even had our choice between #2 and #3.

The flow was around 2500 cfs a few weeks ago. Is it too low for a 16' cat loaded at the current level (1300 cfs)? We were thinking about going again Thursday.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #16
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Anything over 1000cfs is fine for just about any boat. The wind will be more of a possible factor rather then water depth.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #17
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
We just ran Pumphouse to Rancho Sat the 10th and Sun the 11th with 4- 16' cats lightly loaded and it was great. I'd say the jump above the hot springs is 35-40' with a 15' jump forward to clear the cliff on the way down. If you hang at the springs for long you will see someone do it.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #18
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Admin note: two threads on same stretch merged, also search on "Pumphouse to Dotsero," "State Bridge to Dotsero" for info on the Upper C. There's a link to the BLM guidebook in this thread.

Also note that next year they'll be requiring groovers or wag bags on the Upper C.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010   #19
Park City, Utah
Camping on BLM Land?

So is it alright to camp anywhere on BLM land? We are hoping to camp somewhere downstream of Yarmony. We would prefer to camp at one of the marked sites, but if they are all full, I don't really want to do a moonlight float to find an open spot when there isn't too much moonlight this weekend. I have all the equipment needed to be self-sufficient (groover, fire pan, etc). Thanks for any info.
Old 07-16-2010   #20
Summit County, Colorado
Do your best to get an established campsite, rather than camp anywhere you see fit. It should not be a problem to find something downstream of Yarmony, and past Rancho. We've never had a problem finding camps, even on holiday weekends. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen people camping at sites that are not established. Go up to Andy H's post and download the BLM map - all of the sites are marked. Once you're past State Bridge, you'll have a lot of them to choose from, and you'll notice the number of boats decrease dramatically after you pass State Bridge. I doubt very much that you won't be able to get a nice site, especially if you're on the river early in the morning and don't dilly dally too long at your stops. Have fun and be ready for the wind and mosquitos!

summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

canoe, catamount, pumphouse, state bridge, upper colorado