Old 06-20-2011   #1
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Pumphouse this weekend

Looking to run pump house to rancho this weekend, it's been years since I've run the stretch. Levels looks fun but I will have a few iks with me, any thoughts or advice for those guys at these levels?

gwsdemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #2
El Chupanibre
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
We ran Yarmony on the Right. It was pretty easy-our other boat went left and had lots of problems-the left side is very pushy and leads in to a boat flipping hole, if you go left you'd better get back to the center ASAP. The big rock in the middle is submerged, but forms a big nasty reversal-it is an easy miss, but a must miss. The rocks that form the keyhole are underwater, find the center and go. Overall the river was easy to read, but at current levels the penalties for bad decisions are magnified-be prepared for long cold swims. Have fun, be safe!

OldandBitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #3
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
It's still easy. Eye of the Needle is a fun and easy wave train. Yarmony is one big hole that you can easily skirt right or left. The scout is on the right by the giant flat-topped boulder in the first gorge after Radium.

I was worried after reading about all the carnage and how hard it is and was pleasantly surprised to find it was as easy as always. Just launch EARLY (read: on the water BY 9) or you will be fighting horrendous winds. Run your shuttle the night before, do what you have to, just launch early!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #4
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I ran it yesterday with no problems. If you like getting wet and have a big boat I recommend hitting the needle's hole, stay left. Yarmony is usually a left run so I tend to stay with the low water lines. If you want action hit the hole on the left side, big boat only, and then you are in a good position. There are some holes at the bottom left that are a little fun too.
WillYates is offline   Reply With Quote