Old 08-16-2011   #11
NEW CASTLE, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I shot photos for 10+ years on Shoshone and White River NF required a permit PLUS charged our company a day fee ($75 per) to have a photographer on that section (Grizzly up). We shot everything that floated by and sold a lot to private boaters when we sold out of the old Dairy Kreme next to Sioux Villa in G'wood. The commercial companies that shot their own had an "inclusive fee" of a % of revenue (day fees, raft tax, whatever they call it). Their may be some implied model release within a commercial permit that prohibits them from photographing private boaters?

rwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #12
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Mighty Upper Photos

Mighty Upper Photos has been taking photos on the Upper Colorado for close to a decade now. In the past we've taken pictures at the first wave train (we call it "Wake Up"), but we have not shot from there for the last few years. This season a separate photography company - Rapid Image - was taking photos there. (I know - confusing!)
The BLM has kindly posted both companies & respective websites on the bulletin boards at Pumphouse & Radium to help boaters find the photos of their liking.

Mighty Upper Photos currently takes photos in three spots: the last wave train of Little Gore (we call it "Prudential Rock") just above the warm springs, the cliff jump ("Jump Rock"), and NEW THIS YEAR also at Yarmony in the lower canyon. Coverage of the different spots depends on the numbers of the many commercial outfitters we follow around, but we'll take private boater shots too whenever we see you out there.

Check 'em out at Click on "Private Boaters", or if you don't see that click "Show All" for the full selection.
See you on the river!

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #13
Kremmling, Colorado
Photography permits

We do have commercial film permits... as I understand it, John Fielder should be getting permits when photographing on lands managed by the BLM. I noticed that most Colorado pictures are on lands managed by the USFS or National Parks Service or private ranches. If I ever saw him down at Pumphouse, you can bet I'll be running over there to talk to him!
Teri Parvin
Rec Asst, BLM Kremmling
tparvin at
Teri_at_BLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #14
Evergreen, Colorado
A little off topic I know, but I just went to "photo reflects" web site. $19 for a 640x480 digi pic and $29 for what they call a "hi-res" digi pic seems sorta outragous to me.. and $20 for a 5x7 print?

kevdog is offline   Reply With Quote