Old 08-02-2011   #101
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I'm so ready to run left, but I've got commercial paddlers. Been running it commercially as a guest guide for 6 days now, and I aim for the wall and then ride the pillow on the "sleeper" rock and it puts me just proper. Think I'm gonna run it left of the rocks tomorrow just for fun.

SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #102
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I do this stretch with my 4 year old all the time (note: she is a bad azz little swimmer and I often toss her in the water to keep her "familiar" with it swimming.....ha ha!)
But Eye of the Needle is hard to screw up as long as you are watching what your doing and have some basic boat handling skills.
Eye of the Needle is best run just right of center of the big rock in the middle. So I typically aim my bow slightly towards the hole below and ride the obvious tongue down, then I do a couple of back strokes away from the wall and ride that wave train fun below.
Yarmony is best run left side. Friday I saw someone attempt to run it right and didn't get flipped but came God awful close. He was on a perfect line for right but the hole reached out and sucked him river left, he high sided in a 14 ft with mad skills and ended up coming out the river left side of the was awesome to watch. With that being said I think its safe to say, RIGHT IS NOW CLOSED, unless ya want some swim fun.
After approaching Canyon Door on river right this should signal you to start watching for a small safe and easy tongue to the left of the hole. Keep your bow pointed at the hole and do several mild back pulls away from the hole as you pass. You may be able to straighten out a little as you pass the hole and see your path and clearance is good. I sometime will try and grab some of the hole on the side just to cool the family off a little but on the left outsides it wont suck you in, especially with some forward hole punching momentum. After pass that hole start rotating your boat around to face the wall which the river will be pushing you into above the next shelf drop. A few back pulls keeps you off this river left wall and a nasty little sleeper hole below, but with those back pulls you have nothing to worry about. I often, depending on timid people in my boat will punch that river left hole a little to living things up, but wouldn't recommend it if you don't run it a lot, if my family is on board I like to hit it cause they love that hole and with the right approach can be harmless, especially below 1500 CFS.
You should be fine at this flow as long as your attentitive and run the lines described in this thread. Plus, there is a good margin of error as long as you have some ok boat handling skills.
I was a little nervous this year running at above 5k but I did my homework on here and talked with some others and remember "Luck favors the prepared".
Have fun, be safe and always expect the unexpected.

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #103
Free and Easy
Granby, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Coon is right, there is not a lot to it for whitewater boaters at these levels. Read and run, but be conservative if you're unsure. IMHO, if you are asking, you might be unsure. Just don't ever take on the mindset that "highwater is over so I don't have a thing to worry about" dance with the river, but the river always leads.

On an embarrassing side note, I have dumptrucked a 12 ft oar boat in the meat at 3.5K...
RiverCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #104
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
If you have any experience rowing at all, you'll be fine with kids at this level. I've been taking my kids up there since they were 4 and 6, at levels from 1,000 cfs to over 9,000 cfs (this year). It's a good time at all levels, and really not that hard. it looks harder than it is really. That's not to say it should be taken lightly, as others have said, but just don't psych yourself out of doing it.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #105
Basalt, Colorado
We ran PH to Rancho a couple of times last week and I think I actually made a comment like "you have to blacked out or dead to flip in either of those canyons"...then watched someone flip by trying to go OVER the Yarmony rock. Presumably they were trying to go right, but made the move to late.
Seriously, just keep your eyes open and you should have no problems, there is no "trick move" it's pretty straight forward, avoid what looks like you should avoid and go where it looks like you should go.
Have fun and pace yourself, it's a long float after Lone Tree CG to Rancho, don't want to run out of beer!
jalthage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #106
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I just ran Pumphouse to Rancho today with a 5, 6, 8, and 10 year old. Idiot proof may be a stretch, but as long as you don't ride the rock at Yarmony then it is really pretty basic stuff.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #107
Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by jalthage View Post
Have fun and pace yourself, it's a long float after Lone Tree CG to Rancho, don't want to run out of beer!
I'm planning on being up there in two weeks to run Pumphouse to Catamount bridge.I wonder How much beer is that going to require?

snakester is offline   Reply With Quote

lyons creek clinic