Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-10-2012   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I brought my drysuit on a late October/November trip and wore it a few days. Sadly on one of the cold days I broke my neck gasket putting the suit on - so no more dry suit for the rest of the trip. It wasn't a huge deal so i didn't try to field repair the gasket (duct tape and aqua seal). Neoprene neck gaskets are the way to go for rafting dry suits in my opinion. If you can get one for a reasonably low cost - or already own one- i would bring it in a heartbeat. I've boated in blizzard conditions in relative comfort in my drysuit before.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #12
Bountiful, Utah
Paddling Since: 1978
Hey Buzzards,

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted for sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated!

Matthew73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #13
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
For a rafter my set up rocks pretty well now. Bomber spray pants with ankle neoprene and at the waist. Water gets in when I swim but not a ton. But now I have a dry top with a really nice neoprene neck that tightens up. with a double layered tunnel at the waist the tighten up on the top of the pants. Easy to throw on just for the drop if you are hot.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #14
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Coldest days on the Grand Canyon were second week of April 2011. (We left Flagstaff in a snow storm.) That is in comparison to a late February trip which was much warmer, 2008. If you have a drysuit, bring it. If you don't have one and don't enjoy being cold, buy one. Hope you have it packed for the entire trip. I'd be careful on how you pack/store the drysuit. Keep sand away from the zippers. Drysuits don't take well to being mistreated.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #15
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'd say go with a drytop instead of full suit for the grand. Much more versatile, easier to on/off yet you still get most of the warmth benefit. Splash pants on the bottom. I have a one piece, but boy for the grand it would be nice to have 2 separate pieces. Oh well
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #16
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it

Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Yes. You should at least have it along just in case the weather turns lousy.
A dry suit is not going to take up much room and you'll be glad you have it should the weather turn.
Originally Posted by st2eelpot View Post
I'm a male that's 5'8" and 160lbs. I don't retain heat at all. I wear my dry suit all the time and love it. I hardly wear neoprene anymore.
It's a lot easier to cool down on the water then it is to warm up. I've brought a dry suit on two trips and neoprene on my first. Wearing Neoprene gets old real fast in my opinion.
Originally Posted by benpetri View Post
Another pro - they make some of the side hikes more enjoyable in the offseason months, especially Silver Grotto, Shinumo Creek, Elves chasm, and Havasu. I don't think I would have been swimming in Havasu in March without one.
Excellent point, drysuits come in handy both on and off the river this time of year.

If you don't own one and don't want to spend the $ for one for this trip I'd rent one for sure.

Have fun down there!

Schenker is offline   Reply With Quote