Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-08-2012   #1
Moab, Utah
Proposed special recreation fee increase in Westwater Canyon

Greetings to you all and happy spring!!

You may have heard that the Moab BLM is proposing to increase the special area fee in Westwater Canyon in 2013. The fee would be raised from $7 per person to $10 per person for both private and commercial boaters. The last time this special area fee was increased was in 1998. As you can imagine most things (including staff labor, gas, gear and facility maintenance) have increased in price since 1998.

The fortunate reality is that 100% of the fee does stay right here with the Moab BLM for use on the river program. The fees that you pay when you acquire a Westwater permit actually do pay the ranger's salary as well as the person that you speak to in order to get the river permit. The special area fees are also used to maintain the potable water system, ranger facility, campground and toilets at both Westwater and Cisco.

There is a business plan posted at the address below and I encourage you to share your comments prior to March 22nd. Thank you!!

Colorado River Business Plan

Jennifer Jones
Outdoor Recreation Planner Moab BLM
BLM_Moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #2
InaRV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 12BC
no dogs...higher prices...3.2 beer...utah

bonzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #3
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Charging fees for citizens to use the prettiest parts of their own country. Ahhh- Liberty!
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #4
aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1957
usa sucks
ducksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Will the 1$ road fee be on top of that or did that get shut down.

The reality is that managing these places cost money. I think its smart that they up it by $3 as opposed to $1 like the post office model where they up the cost of a stamp a penny every so often instead of a nickel less often.

The post office is in the red; I'd prefer the river rangers had the money to manage the river appropriately. three more dollars added to a Westy permit is entirely irrelevant to the trip cost.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #6
Personally the $10 per person fee seems pretty reasonable (assuming you are on an overnight trip). It sure beats the $200 flat rate of Dinosaur floats... which completely discourages smaller groups.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #7
Charge the $10, allow dogs, but count them as a person.
glax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #8
Come and open the gate
denver, Colorado
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I'd prefer the river rangers had the money to manage the river appropriately. three more dollars added to a Westy permit is entirely irrelevant to the trip cost.

stribtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #9
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Makes Sense

I get it.
Those of you responding so negatively, I do have to wonder at the disconnect with reality shown by that sort of immediate dismissal. I know that there were good old days with no or lower fees and that (hopefully) the frustrations are coming from old timers who remember the river in a different time.

Unfortunately those times are changing (have changed). The exponential increase in private and commercial white water activity in Utah over the last two decades requires regulation.
It would be nice if it didn't.
It would be nice if everyone could share and take turns and clean up after themselves like the teacher taught in kindergarten (gold star and ladybug stickers for everyone!), but the reality is that those lessons do not seem to 'take' in a lot of people. Rangers have taken over for kindergarten teachers to be sure that grown-ups do all of the above (On a side note to rangers- I would really appreciate getting some shiny stickers every once in a while. Maybe a 'leave no trace' award on our receipt? Possibly scratch and sniff?).

To those of you being so harsh:
Do you realize people have to be paid to do that?
(shocking, I know, that we all don't just volunteer for daily drunk douchebag duty)
Do you realize those people need somewhere to work out of?
Do you realize that a building comes with maintenance and utility costs?
Have you noticed expenses going up (just a skoach) in the last few years?

I am just confused, I guess, at the tone of the posts above. And I hope that some of you could take a little more time to consider an alternate opinion, or see the other side of the argument, rather then just starting a moan fest (and not the good kind) and immediately crucifying the messenger.
LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #10
InaRV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 12BC
never did get any of thoses gold stars in kindergarten...

bonzola is offline   Reply With Quote