Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-10-2012   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
The fees were implemented long before the "Bush tax cuts"- now owned and endorsed by Obama, btw. That label is entirely partisan when both parties and two administrations have implemented the same "cuts". After 10 years, I've got new for you- it's the tax rate. Despite what the scheisters in DC have sold you, they passed outlandish spending increases with full knowledge of the tax rates and the revenue they would generate. You simply attach that to the party of your choice and quietly shake your head in disbelief? Your argument doesn't really hold water when it ignores the facts in favor of your chosen ideology.

I don't want "something for nothing", I want something for the largest bill I pay every year- my federal taxes. They labeled this land as "public" yet our federal taxes aren't enough to properly manage it? That's where the real hogwash lies, the utter failure in management our tax dollars are saddled with. That's what federal taxes are for- federal programs.... like the parks program? They'll let us use the pretty parts- as long as we pay extra? If you're not offended by that, you have lost some of your liberty without even knowing it. FYI- You're supposed to be pissed off at stuff like that-
+1 couldn't have said it better.

ps... clear cutting, oil pipelines, fracking etc... all done in other countries until we have to source from our own... Federally protected lands paid for by our tax money so the government can destroy/farm it when they decide to...Public Federal Land...hmmmm
but not saying this is appropriate for all situations....
Now lets all go play in the woods before someone decides it's best used for "other" things... $$$

KPC80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #22
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Asking teachers to provide basic school supplies out of pocket pisses me off too~

Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #23
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Another plus for $10

My husband just pointed out to me another very valid point in being 'ok' with the increase in fees. Previously, the trip leader had to make change or cash checks when getting the per head from people. Now they can just keep the even bills
LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #24
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Nothing sinister- just that any federal money (or state for that matter- since there are plenty of state fees as well) that goes toward education does not come back as a direct benefit for my family. Certainly there are benefits for the greater good. I'm not anti tax- I'm anti federal waste and anti double dip taxes for people who've already paid their "fair share" (love that class warfare canard).
You actually think that educating the children/future leaders of America does not provide a benefit for your family?
As the father of a teacher in the public school system, it pisses me off when people without kids or people, like me, who's kids are no longer in school, fail to support funding increases for schools. My daughter teaches in one of the best funded districts in the state and yet wages are frozen, even when she finishes her Master Degree she won't get what used to be an automatic raise, and she still buys things for the classroom for her unprivileged kids. You say that pisses you off, but were is the funding suppose to come from.

Boy, did I ever get off topic, but you kind of hit a nerve. Kind of like when people use the word retarded as my son has learning disabilities.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #25
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
You read what you wanted to hear- I specifically said, "Certainly there are benefits for the greater good" and that's exactly what I was referring to. The funding should come from taxes. The appropriation should be sufficient for the need. Don't hit up the kids/parents/teachers after the taxes have been collected.
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #26
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I would like to see a 2 tier fee system on Westwater... $5 if you are doing a single day run, more if you are camping.

Maybe with the extra $3 they can pay for some training for the launch ranger in interpresonal skills.
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #27
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by wyory View Post
.... I will happily pay $10. $3 more to get dogs banned - hot damn itís a bargain! ....
I second that.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote