Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-22-2004   #1
Proposed Glade Reservoir (Poudre) open comment period

Hey buzzards,

Some of you have been following the progress on the proposed Glade Reservoir which would dam(n) the Poudre near Ted's Place on 287. There is a public meeting tonite at the American Legion Post 4 east of La Porte, from 6:30-9pm. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it, but thought some of you would want to know. Also see the forwarded comments from LeRoy Poff regarding a preliminary EIS and public comment form which you can access at: ┬*http://mountainbuzz.com/events/glade.pdf. Your comments are important, particularly where they concern any environmental issues that may result from the placement of the reservoir.

If you are interested in supporting a whitewater park in downtown Fort Collins, you should have interest in this dam(n) project. It could mean little, if any, water in the river through town. For more info on the WW park contact Matt Evans at the Mountain Shop in Fort Collins.

forwarded message:

Hello all.

As you have probably heard, the USCOE is starting the process of writing an EIS for the proposed Glade Reservoir that will inundate several miles of Hway 287 near Ted's Place.┬* A draft EIS is slated for ca. March 2006.┬* The reservoir is proposed to operate by capturing most of the June peak flow coming out of the Poudre Canyon and shunting it into an off-channel into a dammed valley.

Environmental concerns include loss of scouring peak flows for riparian maintenance and fish habitat, a reduction in water quality both biological (invertebrates) and chemical (reduced "dilution" -- FC already has crappy WQ in the Poudre). Then there's the issue of what we as a community want the Poudre corridor to look and feel like.┬* Are the costs worth it?

If you're interested in expressing some concerns at this very early, EIS scoping stage, then print out and send in the form (see link above) by Oct. 25.┬* Email is also an option.┬* Please take a few minutes and provide input if you're interested.┬*

Also, please PASS THIS ON to others you think might be interested.

N. LeRoy Poff┬*┬*┬* 970/491-2079 (Office)┬*┬*┬*
Associate Professor┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬* 970/491-0649 (FAX)┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*
Department of Biology┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬* 970/491-2414 (Lab)┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*
Room E332 A/Z Bldg.┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬* poff@lamar.colostate.edu
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523┬*┬*

holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #2

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004   #3
Retail Manager/Kayak Instructor
Hey folks-
Now's the time to get involved in this Glade Reservoir issue! Not only is early in the Environmental Impact Statement process the time to provide the most proactive input, but if unfortunate events unfold in the future, only those with standing in the proceedings (involved in public comment from the start, for instance) are usually seen by the courts as stakeholders. So, fill out the form, write a letter, attend meetings, and fight for your river! Also, don't forget to mention all of the impacts from a proposed reservoir on the Poudre: economic, environmental, and otherwise; the EIS process is designed to consider ALL impacts.

Brian @ the Mountain Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004   #4
Does anyone know what this damn would do to the actual flow of the poudre in the canyon, and what would the boudries of the resevoir be? I am not in town to help but everyone who is please go and give your input to the process.
Poudre Pacuare Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #5
As far as I know, streamflow would be affected below the damn and not above. So for paddling as we know it, it would not be a big change. The road would have to be re-routed and there will be plenty of construction, not to mention poor water quality downsteam thru town, the end of the proposed WW park, and loss of aquatic habitat below the damn.

There are a few websites out there with more info...this one has a map of the proposed area and a few points to be aware of:

Chances are, it will happen regardless of what we say or do. Growth in Colorado is inevitable and there are only so many solutions for our water issues. If they don't do it here, they'll do it somewhere else. On the bright side, streamflows won't be affected (yet) on our prime runs. There is talk of diversion sometime in the future, from what I understand. Either way, it helps to be informed and involved.
Old 09-28-2004   #6
Holley or Dave K. --list salient points

Holley or Dave K.,

It would be helpful to have a brief list of some of the most important negatives regarding this proposal. Briefly listed, those of us who are less informed can make some good points when commenting on this proposal rather than just to blabber some generalities about environmental, boating, and other impacts.

I have my pdf printed out and would like to add those important details.

danab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #7
Sure thing. I'm not an expert but I have arranged to talk with Dr. Jill Baron, an aquatic ecologist here at NREL, next week. And I'll get back to you guys with some good talking points for the EIS, as well as maybe a better idea of what this could mean for us as paddlers.

Until then, enjoy the rain...and may it soon turn in to snow!!!
Old 10-25-2004   #8

Wow. I really dropped the ball on this one, guys. Sorry about that. Today is the 25th and also the deadline. Been sick and busy, and well...I don't really have a good excuse. I┬ĺve put together a few points for those of you who want to send an email or a fax to record your comments. Disclaimer: I am not a freshwater ecologist┬ůI didn┬ĺt come up with this stuff, but did a little research and asked a few questions. I┬ĺm sure there are many others out there who could better outline this information. But since I said I would┬ůhere goes.

Negative ecological impacts as a result of damming dynamic freshwater systems:
┬Ľ The concentration of aquatic pollutants can increase because when you store clean water, the volume of water (along with the beneficial organisms that reside in it) that is left over is often not adequate enough to filter pollutants. And the decreased volume of moving water can add to this problem.
┬Ľ Changing a natural flow regime can provide opportunities for the invasion of invasive exotic species. In the case of the Colorado River┬ůthe cold, clear water below the dams, combined with the presence of exotic species has altered food webs in that system, which can lead to many problems in terms of ecosystem functioning.
┬Ľ Changing temperatures in the river can also have an affect on native species. For instance, if the water level drops significantly in the river (which it will through town, in this case), the water temperatures will increase and this can lead to loss of native species. And we┬ĺre not just talking fish here, either. Aquatic systems contain quite a bit of biological diversity.
┬Ľ Decreased flow can lead to increased nutrient build-up, which leads to increased algal blooms and loss of clarity (and sometimes stinky water).
┬Ľ Ultimately, ecosystems need variability in order to function. Damming and regulating a river will result in a loss of this variability┬ůfor instance, the way the Poudre River ecosystem is cued to the annual snowmelt phenomenon, and by regulating streamflow, natural processes (pollutant filtration, streambank stabilization, healthy populations of organisms, etc) will be altered, possibly with detrimental effects.

There are also the issues of aesthetics┬ůin town a low stinky river (lower and stinkier than it already is) will really counter the kinds of beautification projects the city has put in place along the river. Not to mention years of destruction and mayhem on 287 while they build the highway and flood the area.

Obviously, I┬ĺm not a fan of the idea. Any dam for that matter. Although, as I stated before, I don┬ĺt know what the alternatives would be in this particular situation. Birth control, I guess.

Hope y┬ĺall are well. Thanks to those who will send along your comments to the Army Corps in defense of our beloved river.