Old 06-27-2007   #11
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Hahaa, your sense of humor has proven you worthy...was it the commercial remark? Alright, consider yourself reinstated....

...and Jessi's gonna be mad you called him my girlfriend. Come on, were a "non-traditional" couple.

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #12
Originally Posted by DanRauer View Post
I just bought a nice camp stove for overnight trips. It is a 60,000 BTU stove and cranks out some serious flames. Does anyone know how much cook time I can expect from this stove running off a 10 gal portable propane tank. The reason I ask is that I have an upcoming Deso (I know Deso in July is hot as a mofo), I just trying to figure if a 10 gal tank will support 6 nights of meals from this stove. Or do I need to carry two tanks? Does anyone have a similar stove and knows about how long these guys last? Any help would be sweet.
I have an 18" Partner 4burner (40,000 BTU) and while I cannot give you an hours of use estimate (done already anyway), I've had nine days/nights (breakfast/dinner/cleanup) of use so far and have 1/4 of a tank (guess) left.

Here's one way to eliminate guessing, anyway.

dirtbagpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #13
Gnarnia, Colorado
I find that heating dish water is what eats your propane not cooking. I have a Partner 4-burner and take two 5 lb tanks and have yet to run out on trips up to 6 days.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #14
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks alot for the replies. It seems that the consensus is that two 5 gal tanks should be more than enough. This would be enough for cooking and cleanup, and redundancy in case one tank gets messed up.
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #15
Gnarnia, Colorado
If that's the route you're going, I'd recommend buying the tanks at Home Depot. I looked around and they're the least expensive ones that I've found. I think they were in the $20-30 range.

Or if you have cash to burn, check out these 'clear' propane tanks that allow you to see how much gas is left: Clear, Fiberglass 10-Lb Propane Cylinder Tank

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote