Old 03-24-2008   #1
bangor, Maine
Paddling Since: 07
project 52

I just got a project 52 and am trying to outfit it. Im 175 lbs, 5'11" and have an 11.5 shoe. I find my feet are crammed into the bow and they tend to fall asleep after twenty minutes or so. Any reccomendations? I have some room to move the seat back but I dont want to move it so far back that im stern heavy. Any reccomendations?

gospud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #2
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I have a project 45. I am 5'11" 165 Size 10 shoe. I got it specifically for front range play spots so I wanted low volume. So here are my recommendations.

1. Keep your boat balanced. Hop in the water and make sure the lines on the side are not dropping below the water front or back.

2. Take the thigh braces out and get a happy seat thruster combo. The bag under your thighs will force your legs out and to the side and will hold you in nice and tight. Often times feet fall asleep not because of how your feet are crammed in but because of how your legs are positioned. This used to happen in some of the old school boats as well that had plenty of foot room. So having the Happy seath thruster combo will help to keep your feet awake because the bag holds your legs up. Having the happy thruster in there as well will give you great pop. Take the adhesive foam and stick it where you put your knees... You have to do that with the thigh braces in anyway. And yes getting out is a cinch. And no I am not affiliated with Jackson remember I like my P45

3. Do not get a foot bag of any kind, build a foam block and use a high quality neoprene sock. I have seen some people use beer cozies on their feet as well.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #3
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Taking out the thigh braces is a must. take the thigh riser pads (the triangle shaped pads that are suppose to go under your legs on the seat) flip them around and stick them where your knees will make contact with the boat. Then buy the smallest booties you can find. Spend a lot of time on your custom bulk head. Make sure you sit as far forward in the boat that you can comfortably. Once you do that you will have arguably the most custom boat for your size you can buy. I am 6 foot with 10.5 feet, and the boat fits me like a glove.
"Ain't a single rock in this river that can stop us!" Slug
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #4
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
These suggestions all sound quite good and I may try them on my 52. If you're looking for a possible quick fix I simply slid the thigh hooks back towards the paddler several notches and this kicked my knees up at more of a angle and made a little more foot room, and managed to keep the seat right in the middle. I'm 6'3" with 12 feet, I do have some stubby ass legs but the boat's pretty comfortable for me now.
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #5
pnw, Washington
Thats what I did, moving the thigh pads/braces closer to your body gave me quite a bit more room.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote