Old 12-02-2011   #11
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sounds like you are getting great advice. Like Ian (deepsouth) said, practice the moves in easier water. Grab every eddy and do as many ferries as you can. My boating mentor had me doing this pretty early on and it has helped me a ton.
Anytime you meet up with really good boaters, try to get them to step down and run some class III with you. They will point out eddies that seem perfect to a class V boater but are barely noticable to we normal people. It is hard to convince a guy who runs class V most of the time to run class III unless you are a cute girl (dont have to be so cute in some locales) so you may need to bribe them with beer.
BrianK is right, Clear Creek can be a bugger to swim, I have too many scars to prove that.
Another and maybe the best "in between" II and III run on CC is to start at the takeout for Upper CC and take out at what is referred to as Mexican Beach. The TO is just under 3 miles downstream. It is a good section with stuff to avoid, good waves, and lots of eddies and surfing. Do a good scout from the road as some places choke up with wood and can get really ugly quick. I did some of my early paddling there and it was more forgiving than the other runs on CC if you swim. It goes around 350-400 and becomes more fun with more water.

Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #12
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
We ran from the filterplant park to the picnic take out. Then we shuttled back up to just below the crazy part and ran down through those bridges to the takeout before the plant. I think the run was actually called bridges. Yes even though i was told not to i still hit the one bridge but not in a way to get pinned. Lol

Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #13
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Got it. You ran "bridges" and you put in below Pineview...If bridges went well then a low water stevens down should happen soon. Then you have plenty of warm-up to see if you want to try Pineview.

Oyeah, don't aim to hit killer bridge or grey rock bridge.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #14
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Lol ya i totally get the look at where you want to go and not at what you want to avoid thing. The bridge i hit had that big round concrete part far left that made the current push right.

I`m pretty sure Santa is getting me a cascade full face. She asked me what size and color i wanted.

She is a Dentist so thats just another reason for the full face.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #15
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
So you hit grey rock bridge. Wouldn't your Santa get more business by not getting you a full face helmut?
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #16
OlyPen, Washington
Do stuff in reverse

Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post

...My advice would be to spend lots of time in the playpark dialing in the roll. I would also recommend a variety of runs at a given difficulty at reasonable water levels without getting in over your head (moving up too fast) got really round out your skills.

Focus on building the key skills of catching eddies, peeling out, ferrying, scouting, selecting a line and then running it, hitting holes and diagonals. A good path to progression is skill based progression more than run based progression. Do the list of skills ad naseum on runs you are comfortable on until you are very comfortable and in control. If you run rapids down the middle without a move, you are missing opportunities. Catch an eddy at the top... ferry over to the slot on the other side... punch a hole... catch and eddy in the middle of the rapid... peel out... try to surf a wave. You get the picture. If you do this type of work on a run well within your skill level, when you move to the next level, you will be well prepared...

Skill-based progression is a more robust approach, I agree.

Another way to add variety to a known area and to really work your depth of skills is to paddle BACKWARDS. Try things in both directions, plus left and right sides, different combinations of things, etc. When you have to edge while backpaddling across eddylines, it'll feel like a whole new spot at first.

To make it clear, I don't mean just hop in and run the entire stretch backwards and hope for the best. I mean work each little tiny chunk every way you can think of. One instructor phrased it as "Make easy stuff hard. Use different angles, speeds, degree of edging, starting points." Also, if you can't repeat something you did well, then the depth of skills still isn't there yet. Luck doesn't always make up for it.
H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #17
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008

I ran lower blue, fractions, and Brown's late this season. You handled Tunnel 1 with no problems and can take on these runs as well. Hit me up and we can make some laps.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #18
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Swank, I am former rafter new to kayaking as well. Did the Poudre River day this fall. We are about at the same level. Shoot a note if you are heading out for run, looking to step it up similar to you.

RiverTank is offline   Reply With Quote