Old 06-20-2005   #1
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Problems on Ruby/Horsethief

This last weekend i took my in-laws down Ruby and saw some real disturbing things. First off at the put-in somebody made a fire and burnt old pallets so there was about 500 nails down on the rocks where you pull your truck down. (can you saw white trash) second i talked witha guy from another party who told me he was woken up by a group fire many rounds from a hand gun (who knows what they are shooting) and third the amount of motorized traffic. I know this is aloud but i saw a near miss in the Black rock area of a jet skier and a kayaker. The kayaker was leading some novice folks in kayaks through the first swirly part and this jet skier went straight for him. If the kayaker did not make some very aggresive strocks he would have been run over. The jet skier then stopped to say "i am ok" then take off again. I can only imagine how many beers this dude had. I tried to get his reg. # but could not make it out. I talked with the rangers in Grand Junction and they told me problems are on the rise and to report any issues (manly with motorized folks) to them. So be on the look-out and get these guys boating reg. #'s off there boats. Totally sux
Craig Foley

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I spoke with a ranger in May at the put-in about the possibility of this becoming a permitted river. She said they were trying hard to keep it from becoming permitted, but after hearing that litany of examples of stupid behavior, I think that maybe permitting that section isn't that bad of an idea. Just on our early-season trip, I saw a bunch of idiots using bad river etiquette (flicking cigarette butts into the river, throwing coals in the river, etc) Like it or not, permitting has kept Westwater camps as clean & organized as the first time I did it 12 years ago.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #3
I've done that trip a couple summers now and have only ever seen one fishman with a motor, the jet skis would suck, maybe a letter campaign to BLM could get some action, most of the land to the south is designated wilderness under BLM authority. That stretch of the Colorado is supposed to be prime habitat for some endangered species of fish as well, maybe some outdoors/fishing groups could be involved as well, i think permiting it would be unnecessary if certain forms of recreation were just outlawed.
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by cma
i think permiting it would be unnecessary if certain forms of recreation were just outlawed.
I'm with you on this one. They don't allow motor boats above the westwater take out. I never understood why they allowed them in Ruby/horsetheif.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I may not understand the regs, but I thought that there was no motorized upstream travel allowed between the WW and Loma except during duck season, which is winter.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #6
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
All i know is that i saw at least 5 motor boats per day!!!! last weekend friday sat and sunday. I am with you Dave i thought it was during duck season only. Maybe they are comming down from the upper launch in the junction. Never been there so i have no idea if a ranger is there. Hate to pray for low water in there but....
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #7
Paddling Since: 1989
Here is who to contact, email your accounts with the incidents. I guide for a canoe company. Our boats encountered the jet skiier weaving between canoes - not good. The company has logged the information with:;;; and

Andy Windsor
Wilderness Ranger
(970) 244-3044

pamfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote