Old 07-25-2007   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Private Play Park

A friend of mine who is a designer and sells window treatments and the like,was telling me he was working in this ultra high end new developement{Ravenna ?},with golf course and riverside proprerties in Waterton Canyon,between Strontia and Chatfield,supposedely they are building themselves a private playpark/kayak course and also have some Orvis rep onsite ,kinda like a golf pro for fishing.I know few if any run this but have a friend who boats a little and mountainbikes there, says there are some rapids.Anyway ,what do you guys think about something like that,and theoretically if you accessed it legally could they bust you,i have little doubt they'd hassle you,they are filthy rich afterall.

On a side note there was a nice looking wave /hole below the road , near the bikepath trailhead,when the So Platte was Árankin'but it's probably only in when everything else is too.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #2
Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
Not cool, Not suprising...

Sounds like a bad/horrible idea to me. "Exclusive" and kayaking don't mix in my book. Not sure how CO works but in California it is illegal to obstruct passage on any waterway to a person navigating said waterway. Obviously you can't put in on private land but bridges (county or state maintained) have a 100 ft. easement on each side of them so access is all good. power to the people, power to the paddlers.

rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #3
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy.

I hate rich people.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #4
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Sweet. I can't wait for a redux of the Sportsman's Paradise nonsense over a play spot in the burbs.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #5
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
Obviously you can't put in on private land but bridges (county or state maintained) have a 100 ft. easement on each side of them so access is all good.
the easements on both sides of the roads/bridges are only 10', not 100'. Its for CDOT/governmental work, and technically, for you to be there you have to have a permit issued by CDOT. now, CDOT doesnt really give a shit about those so its really not a problem, but it is only 10'. its the governments "right of way".
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #6
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Yeah, finding a place to take out legally will be the issue.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote