Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-24-2010   #1
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Private boaters prohibited from using ramp at Split Mt?

My neighbor just returned from a Gates of Lodore trip and the park rangers didn't allow him to unload on the boat ramp. Apparently the ramp is for commercial rafting companies only (what??). He was forced to use the muddy section next to the ramp (another good reason to bring the big tarp).

I wonder if anyone else heard this, and is this just an isolated incident? My neighbor is one of the nicest guys, I doubt anything happened which caused this. In fact I have had more problems with commercials (OARS in particular). I wonder if the rangers have had issue with private boaters.

jakeo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #2
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The Split Mountain boat ramp has (5 or 6?) lanes which, in times of high traffic volume, allow each group taking out (both commercial and private) to utilize only one. So, that means that you may only be able to de-rig one or two boats at a time, but there is no favoritism (that I am aware of) toward commercial over private boaters. It's whoever gets there first...

CWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #3
The Dino Rangers are a joke. Write a letter to their boss.
Big Da
Big Da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #4
Basalt, Colorado
We never even saw a ranger, put in or take out. Our permit could've been used at the groover for all the good it did.
jalthage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #5
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
We took off on tuesday and didn't have a problem... there where at least 2 good sized private trips and a commercial on the ramp at the same time we where there...
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #6
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
Sounds like your buddy was not wearing his mormon jesus jammies. On a serious note, the dino rangers are absolute fucktards.
Hey Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #7
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I recently met someone privy to the doings of the Dino rangers (will protect innocent) This person encouraged me to write a letter to Dino NP explaining the problems. The 'old man of the river' ranger that seems to be the biggest ahole is named Doug Ross, actually the only one I have met.

I went down Lodore a few years ago and experienced; 1 camp imspection, which he complemented us on how clean it was and commented on our kitchen tarp being aweseom. He watched/followed us through triplet, HHM, etc, again he mentioned to me below HHM that we all had great lines for low water. The next day he stopped us and threatened legal action due to some drunkenness on flatwater. He threatened EVERYONE on trip to be blacklisted, entire trip being taken off river at our expence, BUIs for all, cops at take-out, etc. This year we never saw a ranger, I had sworn off Dino trips due to mr Ross.

Please write a letter, he is paid by our exorbitant river fees and taxes. I have met many other rangers in CO, UT, ID, etc and they are generally great people. I have boated with some and they are all fun folks to boat with. I'd rather drink a pint of MEK than ever talk to Doug again.

As for the boat ramp: I have seen several private trips be able to rig and launch well ahead of OARS. I'd think that running the same boat, with same gear, several times a year would allow them to streamline things. Same goes for the D-rig.

In short; WRITE a letter!!!!!!!!

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #8
Last year we had rangers waiting for us at the ramp. Evidently, one of our party's 12 year old lab was off the leash, the night before, for a few moments and reaked havoc on the entire Split Mountain camp. (We were day trippin' and had camped there the night before.) I could not believe what jerks they were. Seriously, this dog walks less than 1 mile an hour. I guess I understand their need to feel important, poor bored soles. Little D syndrome is what I call it.

The kicker, they would not let us float around the corner to our camp. Not a huge deal, and I understand the 'play permit' thing for floats past Split Mountain, but how ridiculous. The point of my thread is, they made us take out at the ramp. "We would be ticketed" if we floated past it. I think I noticed one of them having a little O as he was exuding his powerful self. We were all happy for him.

Still fun though and I can't wait till my Lodore launch in August.
Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #9
Flagstaff, Arizona
Hey Jake, please encourage your neighbor to write that letter!

I once had a river ranger bluff charge me with a knife. I was flabergasted, and for months didn't know what to do. Then one day I had a face to face with a old wise now retired deputy superintend. At the end of our meeting he asked me if there was anything else I wished to address.

I said "Well, yes..." and told him of the incident. He very sternly told me never to accept such treatment. "If you see us as an agency doing wrong, say something about it. It's the only way we will improve. If you do nothing, you are as good as condoning the bad behavior."

Happy River Trails, Tom Martin
River Runners for Wilderness
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #10
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Never had any issues with the rangers or other groups in Dino and never had a problem de-rigging at the Split Mtn boat ramp. Everybody, including the rangers havebeen pretty chill. Our groups are generally law abiding moderate to light drinkers folks so maybe that has something to do with it or maybe we're just lucky but never anything but positive experiences there.

samsara is offline   Reply With Quote