Old 12-30-2004   #1
oh yeah
prijon creeker vs riot sniper

i'm looking to propagate a mank fetish and feel that i need a short creek boat for runs like the upper upper clear creek, west fork, etc. can anyone compare these two? i'm leaning toward the riot. i'm 5'11" 165#'s.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004   #2
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
I've only paddled the sniper once, on SSV, and it was mostly a positive experience. The plastic seemed a little soft, lots of flex when I hit a rock, Very responsive to steering input, it loved a bow draw, a little unstable coming of off boofs, but that probably was unfamiliarity with the boat. I think if you were an A+ paddler on top of his game this would be a great boat. I think Riot creek boats have a tendency to be unforgiving to those who don't have the best technique or are anything less than proactive.

I paddled the creeker 225 extensively and it obviously had much stiffer plastic, it was very stable and good at punching holes, but it did not like to turn. Bow draw strokes were an exercise in futility, it was great boat for bigger water and straight lines(like Gore or Embudo). But runs like SSV (where you change direction frequently) were frustrating. That said, it did get me through an entire season without swimming once so despite it's faults it is a dependable boat.

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #3
Castle Rock, Colorado
Ummm? Funny thing about turning in creeks like SSV, I really have never had the need to make huge aggressive turns in such small creeks, I usually just point and shoot. Anyway I have never paddled a sniper but I am sure it will be fine. I also think that if you just believe in what you’re paddling and get after it you are going to be fine. But then again feedback is good. Happy new years everyone…
Phin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote