Old 04-07-2013   #11
Prattville, Alabama
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the reply. We ran several of the daily sections contained in the two runs you mentioned when we were out that way last time. The wife definitely wants to go thru labyrinth this time. I did know we could pull out at Mineral bottom but wanted to go on down thru Stillwater. Maybe I can talk her into jetting out from Spanish bottom and my 15 year old son and me can continue down Cataract

BamaRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #12
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post

That's debatable. Depending on the lake level, you could have current to Dirty Devil, or you could have a truly hellish time rowing the 30 miles of truly flat water to the take out.
Or some good old fashion exercise. I've done it lots of times. So have most of my friends. Bring an extra set of oars and towers and 2 can row.

Bama, if your lady doesn't dig whitewater you're right, she won't enjoy Cat in June. However, that doesn't mean you have to subject the river to a filthy motor. Do Labyrinth, Flaming Gorge to Ladore, Ruby Horsethief, or any other flat and gentle trip. Just be a man and use your arms on the river. Save the motor sports for the weak.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #13
Prattville, Alabama
Thanks for advice. It never was that I didn't want to row,I just wanted to make a big loop self sufficiently. My 15 year would love to row in the flat stuff but even with four ours and towers we would never make Potash. I think I will look at just doing labyrinth by itself or try to schedule a jet boat pickup. My wife is game for just about anything for daily, she just is not into class IV or above with a fully loaded rig. Since my older two daughter have gone off to college and motherhood my crew has dwindled. There is hope now, my two year old granddaughter loves water and will soon grow into that XXS helmet I bought her.
Old 04-13-2013   #14
cedar city, Utah
To those wondering......

Current all the way to Dirty Devil takeout, though it slows painfully around MilliCrag Bend.
New rapid 1/2 mile below takeout towards Hite. Looks like river flows a ways below there. Looks like the lake is gonna shrink quite a bit again this season which is great for oar rigs in the canyon.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #15
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976

Once upon a time, minnow paddled a fine hulled sea touring kayak down the Green and back up the Colorado. All along the way ascending the Slide loomed as the crux of the journey only to find that it was likely the easiest section! That is because of the TURBULENCE in the flow.

Rounding the Loops was also relatively easy although the line was around the outside of the bend - the longest - again because of the turbulence. But you say the inside is much shorter - why not there? #1 the flow is LAMINAR meaning it has no turbulence. #2 it is also shallow and a condition known as bottom drag impedes the progress of the pressure wave below hull ( this happens well before actually running aground ). As minnow became more enlightened, the long straits were the real challenge - LAMINAR. The last straits to Potash were very challenging.

Minnow thinks upstream in an under powered non planing hull would not be that much fun - but could be done with a lot of gas and very good navigation.

For every tool there is a job. 11 ft zodiac with a 15 hp and rigged with a rowing frame that converts to a sleeping platform. This set up holds 10 days of food and water for one and 12 gallons of gas that is good for about 100 miles of motoring. Toss the anchor and there is no need to go for that non existent bushy campsite all the canoes are aiming for. Very cool perspective from the middle of the river. Drove this from Hite to Gypsum and back and only used 5 gallons with some floating on the way down.

This type of hull gets about the same distance on or off plane - the gas just goes away fast or slow.With upstream travel it is the water miles under the hull and not land miles that need to be calculated and a good way to try it out is go up first because you can float back.

For a good education on this type of rig give NAVTEC a try. Cataract at 1.5 acre ft / second in an 18 ft RHIB with a 75 is an interesting experience.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #16
Prattville, Alabama
Thanks for the info Minnow,
We have a 10 1/2 zodiac also, and I agree they are very versatile. Ours has a special place under the bed in my RV, always ready no matter the time or place. It has been in the water from the Bay of Fundy, to the tip of Key West and even in Valdez AK. Oh and of course Lake Powell. I am really wanting to make the Green river trip in the new Cataraft I am just finishing. I intended to get it on a local river flowing 12,000 cfm or so and see what my OB will do against the current. I would love to figure out how to get back up from confluence without having to pay for jet boat, that's if you can even get them to bring a cataraft back up.