Old 08-30-2013   #11
Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
and the TIME IS NOW![/QUOTE]

NOW NOW NOW!! Show up next Thursday everyone, then celebrate showing your support by watching the Broncos crush Joe Flacco on opening night.

Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #12
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
2 questions.

Is the poudre river construction going to last throughout the 2014 summer?

If the WW park happens, when is the estimated completion date?

mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #13
Ft Collins, Colorado
When will it begin/be done? This depends on YOU!!

We need a strong showing, telling the City Council (1) we want a play park, and (2) we want construction in 2014.

The final decisions are being made between today and October 8th. This is not a drill!! If you don't do something to support this in the next five week, don't be bitching that we don't have a park.

The TIME IS NOW!! Be there next Thursday, 5 pm, Lincoln Center.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #14
Another ping as a reminder of the meeting at Lincoln center at 5pm this Thursday. The more folks that are there to show support of the park proposal the better chance we have of getting it. Yeah it is at 5pm, which is not ideal from a general work schedule, but try to make it if you can.

Whether you can or not, drum up support for it and see if you can get others to join Thursday too. Boater or non boaters, whomever would like a play park should show up!

"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing." -- Werner von Braun
jtnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #15
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sorry I didn't see this earlier to "stick" it.... good luck guys, a whitewater park would be a fabulous addition to Ft. Collins and the Poudre River.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #16
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Event Reminder: This Thursday at 5:00 p.m !

Reminder that this week is the most important show of support you can give for the Poudre Whitewater Park. Packing this room full of boaters and non-boaters showing support for this venture is crucial to the success of the project.

This isn't some boring meeting either, we will actually get a glimpse of what the park will look like. Unlike the last get together at the Lincoln Center, 5:00 to 6:00 is devoted to the whitewater park.

Thursday September 5th
5:00 - 6:00 p.m.

Lincoln Center
417 W Magnolia St
Fort Collins, CO 80521
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #17
Fort Collins, Colorado
Tonight! 5:00 at the Lincoln Center!

Please join us tonight at the Lincoln Center to show your support for a world class whitewater park in Fort Collins. The time to get this done is now. With all of the river improvements being planned for the coming years (River Projects: City of Fort Collins), this project will be essentially free to complete. All we need to do is convince City Council that this is something for boaters and non-boaters alike to enjoy for years to come.

Let's do this. Get 'er done. Finish this 20 year dream.

If there is one thing that you do to show your support for this project, come to the Lincoln Center tonight at 5:00 p.m.
Old 09-06-2013   #18
Ft Collins, Colorado
Great showing yesterday evening - thanks to all that participated! We filled the room, not even standing room for the crowd out the door. I counted more than 100 in the room, and I heard a more accurate count was ~175.

Scott Shipley was the lead presenter, and he did a great job putting the park in the context of the much larger project, with joint goals for river restoration/ecology, recreation, and flood management. He identified three potential locations for whitewater features, and reviewed the merits of each site. Scott and city staff outlined the (much too long ...) planning and review process.

John Stokes said the next key activity is his staff providing City Council with the information package for the October 8th work session. Stokes' staff will present this in about _two weeks_. We want to be sure the whitewater features are a core part of the package and they are used to address the recreation goal. This is a great time to write to City Council members and express your support. We're being heard - the strong turnout last night was a huge vote.

See the first post in this thread for links to city council and the Whitewater park web site. The Whitewater park web site includes talking points and other info that can help you craft a letter. This isn't an election - you can write as many letters as you want!

Again, super turnout and we're doing a great job. Let's keep up the good work! Hopefully others will provide more details but I wanted all to know that we really came to the table for this.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #19
Fort Collins, Colorado
Nicely done Buzzards. This was a great showing, I'm glad the fire marshal wasn't in attendance.

Thanks again for the strong showing, more details coming soon.
Old 09-23-2013   #20
Fort Collins, Colorado
Here's an opinion piece I submitted to the Coloradoan newspaper regarding the park.