Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-19-2006   #1
Poudre - Upper Rustics - Oar Rig Under Indian Bridge?

We are going to be floating the rustics this weekend. We will have a few oar rigs in our group. We really want to start on the upper rustics and work our way down. I have floated under the Indian Meadows Bridge in a kayak, at around 3.5 and remember it being low, but not bad. Can anyone advise as to wether we should be trying to float this section or under the bridge? I imagine flows will be 4' tommorrow. Is the bridge easily portaged? and what level should we assume we can not float under the bridge?

Also, any beta on the home moraine put in for rafts?

Thanks in advance, and look for the 3 largest rafts on the poudre.

Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #2
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
I'd say probably not but i'm not a rafter. I've been boatin thru there before near these levels, with rafters and everyone had to get down in the boat.

oh, to answer your other questions. Yeah, the portage isn't bad. There's lots of signs upstream, I believe you'll wanna p. on river right, and there's a fence i think you might have to lift over. There's a relatively easy put in/shoulder pull off just downstream of the home moraine lodge place. I think it's a lodge....rv park or somethin. Alot of people put in just downstream from there on the bend in the road. Hope it helps

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #3
Thanks for the input. gonna have to do it. even with an oar rig portage.

Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
easy scout

hey salto,
I remember doing the rustic section a couple of years ago at 4'. We were in a kayak and there seemed to be at least 4 feet of clearance.

Regardless, its an easy scout. you'll drive right over the bridge and can take a look. The portage is easy. There is a nice bank river right ~300 yards above the bridge. you'd have to be blind to miss the signs and bank. The river wide there so the current is relatively slow.

Have fun. thats one of my favorite sections on the poudre.

leery is offline   Reply With Quote