Old 03-15-2006   #1
Da Fort, Colorado
Poudre Runs

I've been boating for a couple of seasons, but only partial ones. I'm pretty comfy on Bridges (when the water isn't really high) and have done Pine View at lower water. What are the next steps on the Poudre? I'm really getting pumped for this season. How do Upper and Lower Mish, Poudre Park, Grandpa's Gorge, White Mile, Middle Narrows compare? I would appreciate some input. Thanks.

bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #2
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Not as familar with the upper runs but for difficulty (from easiest to hardest) here goes however somethings change as the flow increases;

1 - filter plant
2 - lower mish
3 - bridges
4 - poudre park
5 - upper mish
6 - middle narrows
7 - lower narrows
8 - spencers (lower section)
9 - upper narrows

I would guess that grandpa's and white mile fit somewhere around poudre park and upper mish. From what you said poudre park, upper and lower mish are probably within your abilities.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #3
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
I'd say thats a pretty fair rating. Neither upper or lower rustic are much harder then lower mish or poudre park but they are more fun, scenic and secluded(sorta). I'd say upper mish is slightly tougher then upper rustic and lower rustic, imo. Start with lower mish then move up. Of course they do get harder as it rises too. I'd say go for it though. The white mile and g-pas gorge are super fun. I'm surprised at how few people I ever see on the white mile. That rapid is fun as hell. They really aren't that big of a step up from bridges or pineview (keep in mind water level). However, I would say middle narrows is a definite small step up from upper mish with more carnage possibilites. Make sure your skills are up to it before tryin that one. I dont know, hope this helps out some, it's hard sayin, everyone's abilities are different. Just throw it out there if you got anymore ?'s.

oh yeah, try the lower N. Fork of the poudre. Thats a fun, easy, super scenic class III run.

Once you start movin up the canyon you wont wanna go back.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #4
Metro Area, Colorado
I basically learned how to kayak from Steven's Gulch through the Bridges take out. Granted I had plenty of experienced paddlers with me to chase all my shit when I swam, but it was a great section to really learn how to run rivers. I ran it up to 4 on the rock my first season. The only section that really was tough for me was Pine View and Mish Falls. I say go for it. Just make sure you have some people with you that know the river and will be there to chase if you swim. It is a great river, a great part of CO, and have never met anyone up there I didn't like.

Maybe it's just me but I think Poudre Park is more difficult than Upper Mish.

Good luck this season. Be safe and have fun!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #5
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
True that, Poudre is the shit. Boating stevens thru bridges is an awesome day for just about any river runner. You got a little bit of everything and it's right off the road, easy to access, scenic, camping, biking, hiking, backcountry skiin the same day......Mishiwaka

I just say up-mish is harder cause it's got more rapids all of a consistent difficulty pretty much. I hardly even consider poudre park a run cause it's only got like 2 rapids. Cardiac corner boats easier than it looks and pineview....I guess you could consider pineview harder than mish.....over 3.5feet.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #6
Da Fort, Colorado
Thanks for the info! I haven't boated a lot of places but I definitely agree that the Poudre is awesome. Its so nice to have such a great river with so much good boating right out our front door.

bosco is offline   Reply With Quote