Old 04-14-2006   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
South Fork sucks!

I gotta put my two cents in on this because the south fork is hands down the worst river I've ever been down. I did it last year at a low flow - just over 1' on the SF gauge. There are at least 10 portages around downed trees. The whitewater is crap - I suppose it could get to IV+ at raging high water, but it would still only be 3 miles in the middle of a 15 mile run. We stopped at a three foot boof to go back and run it again because it was the only thing in there. The scenery is OK, but nothing spectacular, nothing you couldn't find on a river that is actually worth running. Anyways, this thing only runs when everything else is pumping, so I'd recommend you do something enjoyable instead.

Joel B

huckTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #12
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Oh snap! My comments abover were actually referring to the NF poudre .. not the SF .. I got the two of them confused. I paddled the SF in like 97 & never went back. It's pretty junky.

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #13
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
For anyone thinking about runnin the lower N. Fork of the Poudre this year: I was up there yesterday hiking around with the dog, enjoyin the holiday.... There is a nasty new barbwire fence strung out by some brilliant rancher. It comes on a somewhat sharp bend in the river and will probably be hard to notice when the water goes up. It doesn't look like it's in a swift water area but it could definitely sneak up on ya.

I think this is now the first fence you will portage. The other 3 all come up within about a 1/4mile of each other. They're not difficult but this new first fence will need your attention.

Portage on the right. Cut it right down the middle......What, who said that?
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #14
still nothing

Was bored today and went up the canyon, its a solid .35 maybe .37 during the surge.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote