Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-24-2006   #1
Poudre Questions--Upper Mish and Lower Rustic

Looking for beta on Upper Mish and Lower Rustic at 4 ft. How do they compare? Which is harder? Is the character of the runs different? For Lower Rustic, what are the crux rapids at this level? I've boated Upper Mish up to 3.5 ft. Never boated Lower Rustic. Would love some input. Also, how much pushier are the Poudre Park and Upper Mish sections at 4 feet than at 3 or 3.5?
Thanks all!

3lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #2
Leadvillian, Colorado

Rustic is more of a wilderness run and has a creek-like feel. There are only two named drops that I remember on that section. One is under a bridge (hole 99 I think) and the other is a three-tiered deal towards the take-out. People only usually run this section pretty high maybe over 4 feet at Pineview although I'd imagine it's doable much lower.

Upper Mish. is a classic western run. It has at least four significant rapids of note. Lines vary depending on craft. Definately read and runnable by an experienced paddler, but probably worth a look in some places. Probably more enjoyable with a paddler who knows the lines, and they are abundant in the Fort.

Poudre gurus can give you more beta this is just a small sampling from a novice.

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #3
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Upper Mish is a great run. I never have had much love for Poudre Park. Better just to hit pineview then run bridges.

I am heading up on Friday (5/26) in the morning. I have never been up there in the middle of the week. Will I have trouble hooking up with a group?

Anyone want to go?
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #4
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Do em both. They're really pretty similar, upper mish may be a tiny bit harder, if at all. Upper mish has more rapids for the length of the run. Low rustic has great scenery in a cool setting, really fun rapids, more flat water since it's a longer run but still has bouncy water inbetween the named rapids, class iv-.

Low'r rustic really starts with Granpas's gorge-a really fun, scenic class iv-. Death by decapitation...or is it dismemberment is next, a good 6or 7ft drop wave thing. It's the one under the bridge. It gets the name cause the wave wants to kick you right into an awkward blunt object sticking out of the bridge. Start left up top with a slighty right ferry angle into the wave and you'll be fine...it boats easier than it looks, plus it's pool drop. Fun rapids follow after that. The last one is 99hole/double drop (mile99). Stay Right of the holes at the top of this rapid. I believe there is still a log submerged that probably doesn't interest you. Again, it's not hard to avoid at all

I love em both. Do them both if you can. Hitchin is a little harder up there, sometimes we bring a bike. Shouldn't be a problem though if it's as busy this weekend as it was last weekend. Sorry, prolly more info than you needed, hope it helps.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #5
Thanks for the Beta

Thanks all for the input. Now if we can just get run off to last a while!
3lee is offline   Reply With Quote